Friday, March 14, 2008

Storm In A Cup

The border
This is the immigration check-point in Wang Kelian, Perlis.

Wang Kelian is a Perlis border town on the Malaysia-Thailand Border. It is one of two border crossings between Malaysia and Thailand in the state of Perlis. The other is Padang Besar. The village across the border from Wang Kelian is Wang Prachan in Satun province, Southern Thailand.


I have been busy for the past one month due to many things need to settle in office apart from some business traveling. The pictures I took that graced this entry would give you an idea.

While majority of people were busy with politics due to the 12th General Election of the country, I made myself busy with other life essential things.

May be the trainings I had gone through or the circle of professional (and technically-trained) friends that I have that makes me care less about politics. It is actually not that I don’t care as a citizen of the country to participate for the betterment of future. I do care. Yes, I do.

Perhaps, the attitude that I carry deep in me that prevails. As such, something like, I’d prefer to call spade a spade. I call it right when it is right and I call it wrong when the notion is clearly stated as wrong. You can’t carry those in politics. You have to streamline yourself and biased with the conduit of your political religion you are embracing with. You have to nod to the philosophies that bear. You have to sacrifice a fair deal of emotions and have to make room for some element of hypocrisy to be in you – may be a tinge of it – whether you are aware or not.

No, not me!

I think I have worked all these while contributing to the nation. And I think I have done in my little way for the integrity of the faith I am in.

May be it is still not enough but nothing can be too ideal in this life.


A kilometre to go
A kilometer to go... The road is somehow clear from traffics most of the times.

GE 12 - The heat is on
A flag war between political parties decorates the scene days before the election. Malaysia went to the polls on March 8th, 2008.

________________________________________________________________________

15 comments:

Lee said...

Hello Gab, da lama ta'jumpa. How you doin'?
Holy Smoke! When I saw your well taken pic of 'Wang Kelian' and mentioned of Thai Border crossing...it sure brought back memories to me.
I used to cross over back in the 70's at these places, Padang Besar, and from Golok in Kelantan, as well Betong side.
Mostly cross over to go for Thai lunch of pandan chicken. Love that.
I guess the shock, the excitement has tapered off after the elections.
I was certainly shocked when a friend phoned saying, "guess what? KL, Selangor gone to opposition"!
I guess the BN got a double alarm clock wake-up call this time, huh?
Reading you many postings re your travels, you sure burning up milage in your work.
You have a nice weekend, Gab, and keep well, Lee.

Sue.Aleen said...

GAB,
last time i crossed the border was in 2000. we went to betong & lunch on our back at a kg. love the tomyam & somtam so much! u can also go to satun by ferry from kuala perlis and even from penang.

btw, good shot. so colorful..

m i n e r a l . . . said...

err i never been there.. maybe soon :)
ermm seronok erk travel...

pB said...

tak pernah sampai border thai sebelah perlis ..

tapi

golok pernah masuk

~ GAB ~ said...

U. Lee --> Nice to see you dropped a word or two.

Perhaps only little change takes place in Wang Kelian after some thirty-something years.

As everyone in the country, I am surprised to wake up in the morning to learn that 5 states fell for oppositions. The kind of surprise I had was just merely having not read in pre-election analysis on the potential outcome to be such but not on what political possibility is. Anything can happen. And I still enjoy my breakfast with my family just like the days before.

As far as work is concerned, the tasks in PR is just like politicians too, it's an ongoing work that takes me places.




SUEALEEN --> I heard that too, you may get to Satun by ferry but I never really bothered to inquire more details. And I do love Thai foods, anything for that matter.





TUN --> You'd better be there TUN. Such a nice place to be at. At first you'd feel like in a deserted area but later you'll start to appreciate it.




PB --> Golok or Tak Bai are no big deal to me as I'd cross very often, even just for my lunch.

Norabella said...

Salam Gab, Thank you for dropping by my blog.

When you say 'from the island', were you in Temasek lately?

Anonymous said...

Not sure what to write here.
But I'm very sure you had a great time there while others were thinking hard or just follow their hearts on that day. :)

~kopi0~

Theta said...

I understand your take on politics. Rather than subscribe to the truths that these parties champion and propagate, it's better to follow the Absolute Truths. No two ways about it.

Enjoy the short holiday!

jaketbiru said...

smell something fishy.. the untold stories... hehehhehehe.. ampun

~ GAB ~ said...

NORABELLA --> I thank you for coming. No Nora, I was not in Temasik. I was somewhere else in one of the islands in Malaysia, up north. And I was trying to be cheeky too, that suggests me writing from the tiny island of Pedra Branca not far from Temasik. Kidding! hehe





KOPI O --> You know my line of thought too well since you've reading my responses in the "community forum" over the years. As far as what it entails when you let yourself into it (politics), I have a sinking feeling that one will get drowned, deeper and deeper by the day that unknowingly ended with following the trails of the heart instead of using the head. Beats me!





THETA --> You're right on the money. I couldn't agree more with the way you put it. Philosophically, nothing beats the truths, ABSOLUTE TRUTHS.





NIDE --> Nothing's fishy NIDE. When we are hanging to the truths, nothing in this world can win over us. We don't champ out issues in politics, not even political parties, but what TRUTH is. When truths are put at the top, you do not fit the bill to be in politics beacuse plenty of discrepansies may exist in politics.

~ GAB ~ said...

NIDE --> Ohhh... now I get it... hahahahah... Naughty, naughty NIDE. Syyyy! keep it to yourself NIDE.

arZOoo said...

ehehheheheh...gab n nide..heheheheh

simah said...

true...u character cant go well in politics..which i personally feel is better...so though u care... not bothering much about it is exactlyright for u (in my personal opinion la)

i still remember my late dad in law... sebagai pendidik yg berjaya...ramai yg cuba pengaruh dia masuk politics...tapi personally dia percaya...bila u masuk politics... nak tak hendak niat u yg asal (utk membuat kebaikan dan berbakti kepada masyarakat) akan terpesong tanpa disedari...so dia stay away dari politics dan tak botherkan diri dia sangat dengan politics ...kindda reminds me of what u wrote kat entry ni...

david santos said...

Excellent!
Terima Kashi.


NURIN JAZLIN
MURDERED. 9 YEARS OLD. WHY? ARE WE HUMAN?
.
Please!
TO AVOID SUCH A TRAGEDY HAPPENING AGAIN, AND FOR THE SALVATION OF OUR CHILDREN, WE ARE DOING A WORLDWIDE CAMPAIGN, DISPLAYING THE IMAGE OF NURIN JAZLIN JAZIMIN IN BLOGS ALL OVER THE WORLD ON 25TH APRIL 2008. LET'S NOT FORGET NURIN JAZLIN.

~ GAB ~ said...

SIMAH --> You read my mind well to know my line of thoughts thru what I have written all these while. Have a good life SIMAH




DAVID --> That's very thoughtful of you. Appreicate your concern that makes me embarass for being a local but do not even launch such move for the memory of NURIN and as well preventive course for other young persons.

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter