Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Lesson from the Thundering Jet Engine




Subang Airport was once the busiest airport in the country before the operations were moved to the new world-class airport in KLIA.

At the end of its runaway to the north, there is a residential area called Kg Melayu Subang. It stands as a small township on its own with all the necessary facilities available in the commercial area known as Pekan Subang. During its heyday, it made a good choice for people who are serving with MAS and AIROD to stay there.

My sister who lives in Sepang now used to stay there. It could either be closer to her workplace at the airport or due to marrying a local man there. Or both! When I first came back from overseas, yet to find job, I stayed with her.

Being close to the airport runaway, it is not uncommon for the deafening sounds of airplanes taking off or landing for the residents there, come night or day. During the day, one could clearly see the belly of the airplane with the wings spread like a flying monster sprawling and screaming atop the roof of the house. And they are used to it.

But I am not.

I would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to the blend of a scene in my dream with the reverberation from the jetliner taking off in the background, befits the quaver of an earthquake if not a volcanic eruption. The rowdy racket that rattles the glass windows makes me feel like being trapped in a war zone and had nowhere to go. It takes me a few long seconds to get back to my senses. Only to find it hard to continue sleeping even long after the jetliner has gone, perhaps already hit the sky of the Indian Ocean.

I would be there at the bus stop in Pekan Subang, 5-minute walking distance from the house. I would take a ride to Kuala Lumpur in Sri Jaya bus no. 47 at my leisure. Hoodwinked – I would then develop a pastime to wander around like a homeless lad, exploring all nooks and corners of the town with a “good” excuse of acclimatizing myself to the place where I would later work and play.

My own people with my own culture seem a bit strange when you are away for too long. Let alone when you are still young the time you left the country – having no benchmark on living the life in your own homeland – no comparison, no nothing. What more when you spent your life like a “prisoner” in the regimented boarding school before you went abroad. So to speak, the living skill (in your own place) is close to zilch.

I would sit there like a fool adjusting my mind to accept what’s in front of me and learning the life by the day. I would be baffled with some attitudes displayed by people, serves as a point to counter-check my own. I’d be whining over something that I had seen it could and would be done better and more systematic in the foreign country, just to dish up as a truncheon or rather as a baton for my turn to contribute to the society when the opportunity arrived. And to have it changed for better. Easy said than done!

Little wonder the folks in Kg Melayu Subang never had complained over the roar of the engines of the airplanes. Without their realizations, they came to accept as what it is – spellbound in circumstantial. You’d be amused with the answer when they got asked whether there was any airplane taking off, a few minutes after it did. You simply cannot take the answer like, “Tak pasti laaa….” (I’m not sure…), when it did pierce your eardrums minutes before. You know what that means?

Anyway, my sifoo had loudly warned me not to be enchanted by the unruly circumstances, as much as not to be trapped in the complacence of any achievements that have. And a voice from my spiritual guru thundered in my head just as loud – as loud as those jet engines, telling me “Be complacent with what you are destined to have, for it’s the sign of gratitude”

I think I can figure out the meeting point between those two schools of thoughts. Can you?





_________________________________________________________________________

8 comments:

ManaL said...

Salam Sir,

The last time i was there was in 1997 when my family sent me off on my 1st trip to UK for my undergrad studies. Too bad it's no longer there just for the sake of reminiscing times.

Speaking about thunderous jetliners, i think i was "privileged" enuf to have seen and to bear those droning sounds made by old Concorde between 2001 to 2003 back in london. I wonder whether they gonna come up with another supersonic but quieter jet like that.

"A-ah laa tak pasti laa bila Gab nak blog again, Tunggu jer la yea, bila dia update, dia update la. Dont worry, it wont take him that long " ...heheh

jaketbiru said...

.. kg melayu subang.. subang airport.. before it burned.. the nasi daun pisang.. the sup gearbox (and others)... the bright sparkel explosion.. lubang(s) along the road of kg melayu subang.. the simpang tiga that everybody dont want to stop.. hehehehee..

my god.. kenangan terungkap.. gadis penjual ikan aqurium..

thanks gab

Kak Elle said...

subang airport been there for arrivals and departures couple of times and I seem to know that airport by back of my hand too.

Sounds of taking off and arrivals maybe immune to their systems Gab:)
We the Jellanies in sg enjoyed staying at night at Changi beach till late once in a blue moon and whenever there's a plane arriving we will guess which airline it will be???it was fun I tell you:)

Theta said...

I get what your mean - trying to find that midway point, that delicate balance, between being too complacent with our lot in life and being thankful for the bounties we've been bestowed with.

Just remember that everything has its reasons and its seasons. That way, God willing, we won't be swept away by the undercurrent of materialism and greed.

Anonymous said...

1st impression after reading this entry, I feel like ... `tak tercapai akalku'..GAB..Tak faham!
2nd time, I saw the two photos..touching the ground and flying high. 3rd time reading, I saw the question at the last para. I have no sifoo & u got..
No wonderlah you're so good.
Kena cari sorang sifoo lah lepas nie...:)

~ GAB ~ said...

MANAL => I was fascinated by Concorde but never had chance to see up-close.

Quote:"A-ah laa tak pasti laa bila Gab nak blog again, Tunggu jer la yea, bila dia update, dia update la. Dont worry, it wont take him that long "

Is that supposed to be a ceonversation with someone? hehe




CYNEIDE => I don't know about "gadis penjual ikan" but I know one lady at Fotozoom those days. Or may be something I've missed out in Pekan Subang? hehe

Pssttt... Pekan Subang / Kg Melayu Subang is very nostalgic to me. Many beatiful thing happened over there. Even until today I could see my little nephew and niece as babies that I'd bring them to the Pasar Malam there. Now they're all grown up.




THETA => Glad you could see what I was seeing. The delicate balance of it is hard to juggle actually.


"Just remember that everything has its reasons and its seasons. That way, God willing, we won't be swept away by the undercurrent of materialism and greed"

That's beautiful THETA... Love it!




KAK ELLE => Awhh... Subang Airport is not strange to you huh? Without us knowing, we could have had bumped into each other back then when I killed my time wandering at the airport before going back to my sister's house.




KOPI O => Let me try to summarize what I meant with this entry.

More often than not, we are trapped in our sorroundings. In most cases the bad environment will assimilate with us after quite sometime we are in it. Just like using smelly public toilet, after a minute in there... we start getting used to it... unlike the first time we enter, just couldn't stand the stench. Why? We are enchanted to it. Well, two things may happen:
a) People just accept as what it is and live with it
OR
b) People try their best to be out of it and look for better ambience.

Likewise when we are bathed with luxury things, we tend to forget to thank the Creator for what we are having. And then, being in that situation, there are two possibilities to happen;
a) We become contented and refuse to put more efforts to make it better or
b) the greed factor jinxed us up that make us feel never enough...

simah said...

i have learned to be thankful for what i have...

ur memory of the past..even the number of bus u used to take is sooo cute...

yeah.. i agree with u.. once one gets used to one situation....the situation one has left behind seems a bit weird n need getting used to....

thinking of myself...

i am used to the 4 seasons in turkey... i suppose i will be in flood of my own sweat whenever i visit my homeland again... everything even the language will need getting used to again..

Anonymous said...

Gab,
Thank you for your summary. Got your points and agreed.

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter