Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Satu Hari Di Hari Raya




…I have just celebrated my 7th birthday a few months back

My granny wakes me up later than usual unlike the days when we woke up for our sahur. After a brief fuzzy & groggy moment when I am still half asleep with the plays in the dream still intact, I wipe up the drool and stand right up. With a little sways to the sides, I am figuring out hard what is all about waking up now. But in flash I know it, in the background, the ever comforting rhythmic sound of takbir is ricocheting, and it simply means today is Hari Raya. Yeepie!!!

I have been excited about my new clothes for days already and just cannot stand the thrill of wearing it on Hari Raya. I put it next to the pillow on that thin cotton-like fill mattress that lies on a wooden floor. I have been trying out the clothes for tens of times the days before. Lucky the mirror was kind enough not to break in protest.

The sun is rising in the horizon. I feel awkward eating in daytime (still feel like fasting) when Granny asks me to eat something before going to the masjid. If I do have my choice, I just want to be quick out of the house, meet up with Arif and Fadhil showing off my new clothes and my beautiful PVC shoes. Kak Wan (my eldest sister) has chosen the attire for me when she went over to Pekan Melor (fondly called Kedai Melor) with granny a few days before everyone was busy with ketupat making.

Last night after we played around the pelita ayam we hoped not to rain today because we do not want to have our shoes mess up with red mud from the dirt road that stretched in front of our houses. Thank God it is not raining.

We march to the masjid with style. I feel like everybody is watching and as if they are telling how beautiful my clothes are. Never mind on the shoes that eating up my ankle. I think Arif and Fadhil are also self-indulging themselves just like I do.

We see Rohama along the way to the masjid and together we shout;

“Baju kau tak cantik!”.

Hahahaha… We have a good laugh.

And she is not happy with us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saya tau kenapa Rohama sedih...
Kerana pada malam sebelum raya tu, tika dia teresak-esak kerana ketiadaan baju baru untuk dipakai di pagi raya, ibunya perlahan-lahan mengeluarkan sepasang baju kurung lamanya yang masih agak baru yang tersimpan rapi dalam almari tua di sudut rumah.
Sehingga jauh malam itu, mesin jahit tua si ibu kedengaran masih bekerja...rupa-rupanya si ibu bertungkus lumus mengecilkan baju lamanya untuk dipakai si anak. Sesekali juga si anak yang tidak dapat melelapkan mata, mengintai-intai dari celah-celah pintu.
Dia kenal benar baju kepunyaan si ibu, dan itulah yang dipakai Rohama di pagi raya.
Maaf.....hanya cereka!

Kak Teh said...

Aah the excitement of new baju raya! Malam tak boleh tidur dok renung baju raya! have a happy hari raya with your family. Maaf zahir dan batin.

~ GAB ~ said...

AMARIA --> That's a good imagination Amaria...

KAK TEH --> Selamat Hari Raya to you too!

IDHAM --> Yeah Melor... dekat ek? Selamat Hari Raya to you, Lil, sons & daughters...

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter