Thursday, March 22, 2007

Yes, He Crossed the Finish Line First

Courtesy: Berlingo

It was past midnight. Sam and Edrin were deep asleep in their bed. It was a double bed they were sharing. Months ago we decided to remove their single beds and replaced it with one queen-sized bed to share. Hence, it has been for the reason Edrin refused to sleep alone and left his bed disused all those while. I did try to get him to sleep in his own bed but later found, he kept tossing and turning with the eyes wide open in the dim of the light as to suggest his insecurity to slumber off by himself – he needs his big brother Sam to tag with.

With then a single-sized bed to be shared by the two, it looked jam-packed due to not enough space to support their boisterous moves while sleeping. I witnessed many times they would pitch, topple and tumble each other in their sleep. Every so often Edrin’s foot would be right on Sam’s nose or Sam’s heavy arm would overlay Edrin’s face. At times I’d hear their latent yet strident bawls in the middle of the night skirmishing for space. Occasionally Edrin would curl at the perimeter of the bed, cornered by Sam, confined to a little space while the rest of the bed was left wide and ample. And they might drool on each other.

I was standing at their bedroom door with lights from the family hall bright enough to see them sleeping with the bolster in the middle separated them. At that very moment, the medals hanging next to the bed brought me to the Sports Day in school a few weeks back. It had been a whimsical event for Edrin when he collected gold medals for his 100-meter and 200-meter runs and silver medal for his 4 x 100-meter in Std-4 category.

He was then whining over poor run by the comrade in second leg that made them resorted to silver medal in the 4 x 100m-relay. I remember, I quickly told him it was okay and better off not to reprimand or rather censure on others. I told him, as far as I was concerned he was indisputably a lucid champ for his age group. I teased him; he could even beat the hell out of the guys in Std 6. Consoled, with all smiles, he swiftly told me how he acted after crossing the finish line. He said he was like an athlete seen on TV with a single knee on the turf bowing down catching his breathes while the crowd especially Blue House kids were still in frenzy. And I remember I was perhaps happier than him seeing his pride soars due to his feat.

At another bedroom door in a different house long ago when Edrin was only a year-and-a-half or two, also standing, and just came back from overseas – luggage still in hand. First look at the cute little baby next to his mom sleeping had brought mixed feelings in me. Without precedent, my fatherly instinct was shrouded with some guilty conscious when I thought he grew up so fast in my absence. If I really had to be away for too long and not seeing him for months or a year, it perhaps provide good reason for spotting the difference but it was only a week before.

But then I realized. I was busy going places, complying with my work schedule. I didn’t really spend quality time with him unlike with Fara and Sam when they were babies.

He’d still be sleeping the time I left home before I had to catch my flight departing somewhere. And most of the times when I came back he’d already be asleep. In a hectic season, as good as early in the morning the next day after my arrival, I had to drag my feet back to the airport or hit the highway heading somewhere, north, south, all directions. If not, the work demands in office were just as heavy. I never had driven back home with the sun still in the sky.

Dropped my luggage, I went kneeling down on the floor close to the edge of the bed. I stroked Edrin’s face, hair, arms, hands, fingers and what not. Caressed and cuddled! Kissed! And kissed! Again! And again! And shoo-shoo when he showed sign of waking up. And Anak-ku pacifier came for the rescue.

I shouldn’t have had shed tears and I never wanted to, but that tiny little feeling in me kept developing and multiplying until it finally besieged – overwhelmed. I choked! I couldn’t help but weeping – tears were coming out fast, running down my cheeks. I had missed some beautiful moments seeing him growing up before my eyes. I felt like I was busy for nothing. Yeah, very true, it was all for the betterment of life as a whole that arithmetically would in turn provide happiness I was yearning for. And yet the readily happy thing right under my nose seemed to be overlooked and not well appreciated.

I let my feeling loose while I had all the time with myself – sobbing. It was an emotional moment – very personal – me and my own feeling – in the still of the night.

Up till this day I don’t know whether my wife was awake or not when I was entertaining my thoughts, feelings and emotions that night. Perhaps she wanted me to let it all out without any intrusion. I only woke her up after wiping out my tears. And I was contented to just ask about Edrin’s latest development.






GAB: Your children are babies only once in their lifetime.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gab: How absolutely true! They are babies only once in their lifetime but they will forever be our babies as long as we live.

k.d said...

I think it's a norm for men to hide their feelings coz you think it's a sign of weakness. And men also difficult to express themselves. I know coz my hubby like that too. It's until I prodded him that he told me whatever bothering him or worrying him. You all are protective towards the family and wants to be the pillar of strength for everybody.

But a quiet moment by yourself reflfecting and putting things into perspective also helps release whatever bottlted up inside..

But next time try talking to your wife...you might be surprised with her response...

~ GAB ~ said...

I AM SORRY GUYS, I DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME TO BLOGHOP LATELY.




NORABELLA --> That is right NORA. They will be our babies for as long as we live. Perhaps at this age, I am still a baby to my living mom *Smile*





KD --> It can either be culture or simply in-born musculinity expression among men sinces ages. Sulking is not cool. No doubt at times we may let it out. But in certain occassion, I'd be crying like a baby on my wife's shoulder also.

I have to agree with you on the quiet moment to reflfect and putting things into perspective. At this age, more often than not, the right place is always to be alone with God on prayer mat. Cry if you must.

simah said...

thank u for the reminder..

u might have missed their baby days.. but u r here for them as much as u can right?

Anonymous said...

Gab,
For whatever reasons, I feel that crying is good especially if it relates to our special one.
And how about when you watch a sad movie/anything that touch your heart...
p/s: How do you train your boy.. jadi kuat lari yer?

Kak Elle said...

awww so sweet and so touching lah bro...cry all you want who cares!!its love from the heart:)and you know what?I am still the big baby groovy and vogue kak elle to my father....hahaha

silversarina said...

Having you there watching him crossed the finishing line with gold and silver medals was the most precious moment of his life....kuat lari macam ayahnya ke ??

Memang Allah jadikan lelaki sebagai pelindung kaum hawa ....

Makcik Runner said...

my doter rumah merah...hancus! i think fr 2nd consecutive years rumah merah mmg tak pernah jadik johan. in all acara sukan, the decathlons is the best acara to watch.

dlt said...

thanks Gab for the reminder. will definitely remember it and cherish the moments now and forever.

kadang2 we wished that they will never grow up coz afraid that they will 'leave' us one day, just like what we did to our parents. Susahnya nak jumpa diorang skrg. Boleh kira lik kelate berapa kali jer setahun. kira sebelah tangan pun kadang2 tak penuh lima. Uwaaa.... u make me miss my parents...... huk huk.

Anonymous said...

How I wish I could witness the kind of iove and compassion you displayed, in my home, by my husband. I envy your wife Gab.


Su

Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

hi gab :o)

all fathers (and mothers) work hard for their loved ones.

mama used to tell us that when we were small, abah's already off to work before subuh or our first morning pee, and we're asleep before he comes home.

he worked hard & still does at 62(now it's for the love of his job), but we remember him being there for us whenever he can.

mama also said, parents can only do their best & that's what you're doing, your best :o)

anggerik merah said...

Sir Gab,

I waz here.

NorAiniJ said...

Morning.

You are the man sir!

~ GAB ~ said...

`


SIMAH --> Thank you for making me feel good. I owe the kids something when they had to grow up without having me around some time back, especially Edrin. But now, I am trying my best to pay them back.




KOPI O --> I cannot agree more with your statement. That's right. It is good to cry for something good (especially related to our special ones), of which in no way it'd made as a sulk.

I have drained out my tears long ago since I was a kid due to hard living I had. I find it hard to show off my sadness. BUT, when it comes to family, kids, I can be very easy to have my eyes clouded with tears. Movies? It touches me easily (due to my sensitivity) but to shed tears, hardly.




KAK ELLE --> Wahaha big baby groovy and vogue, still huh? That's cool. ~Smile~

Yeah, Cried for a good reason, love that is, Kak Elle.





RINA JORDAN --> It matters a lot to the kids to have them witnessed on their successes in any fields for that matter. It is just as bad not to celebrate their achievements as not to console their grievances. I try my best to be available at either ends.

Me kuat lari? wahahaha. I used to be "kuat lari" from wardens when I jumped off the fence sneaking out from school those days but not in competitive sports.




KC --> Rumah Merah was doin' badly this year KC. I pity the kids in Red House group at the end of the event when they had not much to cheer, no or rather less trophy received.




DLT --> The cycle is as such. We grow older, the kids get bigger, and our old folks would be at the brink of leaving the world. For someday the cycle will repeat again, our kids have their own life. They'll have their own responsibilities just like we do now. ANd left us yearning for care and love by them at our old age.

So do care our old folks while they're still around.





SU --> Any love life is not gifted right off without efforts. We need to endure layers of trials and tribulations. I am no angel, neither does your hubby. I made many mistakes before, perhaps still, just like your hubby or any other hubbies around the globe. But we are always in position to correct all those errors. The bottomline is, as long as we are willing to change, things can be done.





SYA --> The underlined point you have there is, parents can only do their best. There is no such standard to look at ideally. No specific benchmark as the border line where you can start blowing your trumpet and let the whole world know you are the best. It may vary from one parents to another but still pointing to the same direction as to make life as good as possible.




ANGGERIK MERAH --> Thaks for dropping by. Mind you I did read your entry as well but didn't leave any traces, like for many other blogs. This is due to some kind of time constraint I am having lately




NJ --> Hey, Thanks. I take it as a compliment.





OTHERS --> I am sorry I cannot really blog-hop and read your entries lately. Some, I would go read but left no traces. Mind you, if I were to leave my traces, be it as simple as a single word, I still want it to come straight from the bottom of my heart. Since circumstantially I am not able to do that, I'll go back later to leave my signature.

These are the ones I read but left no traces:
IDHAM, KAK TEH, KD, SIMAH, ANGGERIK MERAH, INTAN, SYA, KAK LADY, KAK ELLE, NORABELLA, ANGGERIK MERAH, DLT, PB, FIREHORSE, WONDA, JOKONTAN, IBU, MANAL, MERAPUMAN, IZARIZA, RINAJORDAN, NANI, TUN, KC (I left my comment), BERLINGO, LANRAMBAI, LOLLIES, HELLI, THETA (I love your lingo, Sis), RUBY (You’re Rock), NJ, PAK ADIB, POKKU, MAK ANDEH, RAD, UBA, YT (Makanan sedap2), JHAZKITARO and a few more I can’t recall.

Lollies said...

amazing entry

I am enjoying them as much as I can now

IBU said...

Alamak... reading this, made me want to call my BAPAK laaaaa.... (tengok jam, aisey... esok pagi la jawabnya).

Sincere words from the heart that touch another heart. Thank you for the gentle reminder of the unconditional love of a father for their loved ones amidst time & spatial constraints.

IBU said...

Alamak... reading this, made me want to call my BAPAK laaaaa.... (tengok jam, aisey... esok pagi la jawabnya).

Sincere words from the heart that touch another heart. Thank you for the gentle reminder of the unconditional love of a father for their loved ones amidst time & spatial constraints.

ManaL said...

Was that u taking pic of ur kid, sir?

Sedangkan our mak kucing loves her 3 kittens to bits, inikan pula manusia. Pity those who tak reti nak care for their offsprings and lagi pity to those anak2 who gets lupa daratan to all that their parents have sacrificed for them before. Pity those parents, too, who only realized too late what have they been missing all the while seeing their kids growing up and not really care about it but keep on thinking that theyve done their best to them.

ps: no worries, sir but thx so much for telling us that u r an active bloghopper despite ur being chockablock with works.

Eddie Putera said...

Yo GABBY...remember me..Am back and kicking. Eh..lu ingat wa tak ni ?

Anonymous said...

GaB.....:)

amazing!@ u r one dotting father.

May God bless u and ur family.

id

~ GAB ~ said...

`


LOLLIES --> Yeah, you'd better capitalize it fully while they're still young :)





IBU --> I think by the time I am replying this, you've talked to your Bapak. Lovely!
What else can we do when we are juggling between work and family? We can just try our best. Perhaps, quality time is vouched for here instead of quantity.





MANAL --> Rather unfortunate that is not me. The pic was taken by a friend on the Sports Day, just to grace my write-up.
You have a point there. Before it's too late, we should realize how precious they are (our kids) in our lives. And they say, it is never too late for anything.

Yeah, I enjoy bloghopping when I have time.





DJINSAKTI --> I bet you are back for better now. Welcome back. How can I forget someone like you that always make my heart smiling. :)






IDHAM --> You're not bad a father yourself. Many accounts from you before have inspired me to correct myself. Thank you Sir.

You too, May God Bless You and family... and have a good family life!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter