Saturday, April 14, 2007

Juggling Between Our Needs and Wants

On Monday, Apr 16, I will be attending a conference at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. It will last for 4 days until Thursday. On Friday, again I won’t be able to have my free time in office. By the look of it, for the whole week next week I will be away from internet and my intention to catch up with blogging community will be at bay.

While thinking about the schedule that gets tighter week after week, for a moment it came flashing in my mind with questions like, what exactly am I running after in this life? Am I not having enough with what I have right now? Am I in the right course in selecting priorities for my day-to-day life? What about for the life as a whole? Am I that grateful with all that God has destined for me? Do I pay back enough for what God has given me in a form of my ibadat?

At once the thought of Marslow Theory I used to learn some decades ago also came playing in my mind. I am particularly interested in the bottom most needs for humans – physiological needs – as simple as needs to eat to continue living.

Marslow Theory or not, the words from my religious guru rings in my head until I almost see in the manner it was spoken. Of course it was in Malay language and it literally means, “We are sent by God to live life on earth nothing other than to submit to Him in total. But God has encased us in a physical body. Physical body needs food to survive. Hence, the food that gives the livelihood to the physical body is just merely to enable us to submit to Him”.


On the same note, imagine if we were to be created without the need of foods. We can remain idle just like a box in a store room for decades and yet still alive. Don’t talk about using toilets since you have nothing to purge. We can just enjoy looking at the sky witnessing the changes of the day and night for months if we wish. We can just remain sleeping for years. Why should we bother to trouble ourselves with all those earthly things when we could even survive without moving a finger? One thing certain, there will never be any progress takes place for mankind.

The irony is, being humans; nothing will ever satisfy us because we are created to be such. While drowning in a swimming pool, it is absurd if you are thinking of having a big bungalow and a luxury car, instead of screaming out for help for you to be able to breath. Once breathing is taken for granted, our stomach is constantly demanding to be replenished. Starving person never wants to see a menu to order his food, anything will do. But once the food is regularly delivered until we don’t have to think much of it, don’t you think it’s time to consider where to put up a night? Where the place is provides better shade from the sunlight, better protection from the rain? Having all those, so then you’d say, “Hey, I am human too; I think I am in love…”

Well, well, well, I tell you what, it goes on and on until we don’t know where is the point for us to stop. As a matter of fact, on the other hand, stopping or not is out of question here. The only concern is whether we understand or not what grateful is all about – at any point of life while having what we have or wanting what we don't have. The answer will only be unveiled if we can really understand the deeper meaning of “grateful”, far beyond the meaning of the word can offer.

Let's pray to God for the verse below to inspire us upon something:

Al-A'raf (The Heights)

وَلَقَدْ مَكَّنَّاكُمْ فِي الأَرْضِ وَجَعَلْنَا لَكُمْ فِيهَا مَعَايِشَ قَلِيلاً مَّا تَشْكُرُونَ
(7:10)

YEA, INDEED, [O men,] We have given you a [bountiful] place on earth, and appointed thereon means of livelihood for you: [yet] how seldom are you grateful!





__________________________________________________________________________

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) bila kau sujud kpd Nya...apakah yang kau katakan?
adakah sering kali kau meminta?
atau adakah kau mengucap kesyukuran?
anih resam manusia ....
yang ada, banyak meminta...itu ini segala
yang kurang, banyak bersyukur ... rezki yg ada, alhamdullillah kata mereka.
GaB../NICE REMINDER thru ur entry
....for me too, lebih mengerti.

idham

Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

hi gab :o)

after reading your entry, these words came to mind - easier said than done - but is it really? it's not difficult to be grateful but why don't we? i guess it's human nature to keep on asking and then be 'blind' to what He has given, hence we forget to be grateful & thankful.

Thank you. I am humbly grateful for the reminder & to HIM for all that He has given & has in store for me.

silversarina said...

terasa betapa benarnya apa yang dicoretkan di sini tapi sometimes memang terasa macam taknak buat apa-apa , duduk relax lebih menyenangkan daripada letih bersama arus pembangunan yang semakin menyesakkan ......

Alhamdulillah dengan apa yang ada.

Makcik Runner said...

going deep this past few days huh? more on self-discovery journey or something like that? a good reminder for sinful mortals like us *smile*

Anonymous said...

alhamdulillahhh...kalo sebelum ni terlalu byk yg kita minta dari Nya compared to bersyukur...skrang baru terasa sedar walaupun dah lama sedar....thanks gab

Anonymous said...

Gab, I feel that u're working on a big project rite now .. :)
All the best to you & i'm happy to read the reminder. Thanks.

Kak Elle said...

"drink your coffee whilst its hot"...this is the saying I always bear in mind:)but its not easy to accomplish sometimes.Mistakes and errors are unavoidable too.

Whatever bro I am happy as I am I can't ask for more...give it to someone else who may need it more:)

take care:)

UglyButAdorable said...

yeah..paying back in term of ibadat..still struggling there...

ManaL said...

Sir,

Grateful is my common foundation and grateful too is what makes me keep moving on to achieve what i want or what i would like to have no matter how fast or slow the process can be. Grateful makes me ponder all those blessings in disguises when i feel down.

Hope everything turns out well....

simah said...

thus we should learn to say Alhamdulillah after each good thing that happens to us as a start...

betul.. hidup ni kena teruskan jugak..ibadat tu jgn lupa kan?

take care while running around in the conferance rooms

wonda said...

A good post that makes people ponder. We must be thankful to God for the small things, and not just the big blessings. We must express our thanks to God for whatever things that God allows it to happen, whether good or bad. And God is not a vending machine.

Anonymous said...

simah said...
thus we should learn to say Alhamdulillah after each good thing that happens to us as a start...

*that reminds me of ctnurhaliza on stage*

m i n e r a l . . . said...

syukurrr . . .
syukrie . ..
syukrannn . ..

yazilan ya Allah.
Alhamdulillah.

Professor Howdy said...

Sure hope you're have a grand week so far...

IBU said...

I remember as a kid I used to walk along a curb or on top of a stone wall with arms out at both sides to help keep my balance. I'm sure other kids loved doing the same thing then. As a tot then, we understood & knew instinctively that to keep our balance, we had to have as much weight on one side of us as on the other. We would bend, twist & wave our arms to help our little bodies regain our balance by getting its center of gravity right.

The center of gravity - playing its invisible force, keeping us from flying off into open space. The further we are from the center of gravity, the harder it becomes to keep our balance.

Tak salah kita bekerja seolah2 kita akan hidup seribu tahun lagi tapi kita imbangkan dengan beribadah seolah2 kita akan mati esok hari.

Sujud kepadaNya despite kesibukan tugas harian dengan bacaan "Maha Suci Allah yang Maha Tinggi" - a spiritual submission that reminds of the authority higher above us and other worldly concerns, embraced within a physical act that keep us closest to the centre of our gravity to keep our balance while allowing the blood flows to our brain - to maintain mental health & sanity.

InsyaAllah ....

MA said...

Wow Ibu...nicely put! I totally agree in life is all about balance.

GAB : I have been totally immersed in Marslow's teory after a ticking off from the lecturer after she overheard me hissing to my classmate in the next table : who the HELL is this Maslow ?. (me being blur as a result of ponteng the previous class lah kan:P) - that she bellowed in her booming voice to me to read about Marslow.

I never ever forget Marslow. Ever again.

jaketbiru said...

hmmmm gab.. look like middle age crisis symptom.. hehehehehe

~ GAB ~ said...

First and foremost, I'd like to thank you guys for coming here regardless of leaving your comments or not.

And double thanks to the ones who have left the comments...




ABG IDHAM --> That is very true ABE. We have been asking a lot of things, more than what we need actually. Nothing wrong right? THe art of being a grateful is the key issue here...




SYANA --> That is correct SYANA, easier said than done. Let's pray to God to bless us hearts that grateful.





RINA JORDAN --> I am actually tired of the rat race that pushed me to race as well. Wish I had all the time by myself away from this crazy life.


To be continued.... Sembahyang Jumaat jap...

~ GAB ~ said...

KC --> Self-discovery is an on-going thing. Level-headed persons would love to see today is better than yetserday and I hope I am level-headed myself. Hehe




ARZOO --> Thanks for coming my dear. Very nice of you. My guru used to tell me, no matter how much we perform our ibadat to level up with the things accorded to us, we can never be close as to be on par. The best thing, only do as much as we can.





KOPI O --> Me working on the big project? To qualify what big is can come in many standards. I am of a lesser side, enough for me to feed my family.




KAK ELLE --> I adopt an easy phylosophy in life too. Nothing much bother me. I just take thing just as it is.




UBA --> I am struggling just as much dear. Hopefully it's not too late and too little to pay back.





MANAL --> You have a good foundation there Doc. It keeps you moving and achieving what you wanna achieve... Great! Indeed plentiful of blessing in disguise we fail to notice.





SIMAH --> Thank you for reminding me to say Alhamdulillah. Life goes on... Right, SIMAH

I had heck of time running around catching up seminars the other day, pretty hectic.




WONDA --> Thanks for dropping by WONDA. A good post that makes people ponder. I second your thought for us to be thankful to God for the small things, and not just the big blessings. As far as bad can be a blessing in disguise, good thing also can be something hidden for the bad thing underneath.




HELLI --> Of course I agree with what SIMAH said. And, oh really CT Nurhaliza is saying that often up on the stage?




TUN --> You are blessed with the actual name as Syukrie, TUN. Live up to the name my man....





PROF HOWDY --> Thank you Prof. I try to enjoy every minute of it even sometimes in between the seconds are killing me. Thanks for coming





IBU --> You've said it IBU. I love what you have just said. The underlined point is keeping balance. Thank you for giving it in a very intellectual perspective.





MA --> Likewise I am immersed in Marslow's teory as well. It is still as fresh in my mind as if my lecturer was telling it nly yesterday.





NIDE --> Who me... Middle age crisis symptom? wahahahaha. Am I laughing to myself or what?

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter