Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Why Blog?



The picture above is a map of the blogosphere from Matthew Hurst's fascinating Data Mining blog. Here's Matthew's description of the above image:

The dark edges show the reciprocal links (where A has cited B and B has cited A), the lighter edges indicate a-reciprocal links. The larger, denser area of the graph is that part of the blogosphere generally characterised by socio-political discussion (the periphery contains some topical groupings). Above and to the left is that area of the blogosphere concerned with technical discussion and gadgetry.



Funny thing about blogging is there’s a sense of guilt in you when you are not being able to update your blog. You’d feel like disappointing your regular visitors. Similarly, you don’t feel good either for not replying to the comments left by readers. And even to the point that you’d feel it’s not fair for not making reciprocal visits to their blogs. Is it me or I really am sharing the same feeling like other bloggers here? Or is it in any way it suggests me as a concerned blogger that care about the community? hehehe

Lately I really don’t have time to do those. I even had on mind to write something stupid for the “April fool” but I had my hands full. Since I had to miss the date, I have to forget about the idea then.

I involved in networking very heavily in the past weeks. I had to be in the circle of technopreneurs with one meeting after another, from one casual drink to the next. My sense of time has gone haywire when my lunch was at 3:21 pm while I’ve just had my breakfast at 12:58 pm and a couple of dinners past the working hours or may be feeling very hungry once reaching home. Since throughout the day I was on sugar-high, countless of teh tarik and Nescafe were left cold on the tables; perhaps it adds volume to it with the saliva splattered while talking. It then entails “Ais kosong satu!” as a common echo heard in the next meet-ups.

The spectrum of places were like from the nice and soothing voices of the waitresses taking orders at 5-Star hotels to the shouts of a mamak for orders that left ringing in the ears. The deliveries were like from well-controlled deep “intellectual” voice to match up the ambience and the surroundings until almost yelling as to counter the revs from the motorbikes nearby.

Of all the meetings and casual talks we had in the past weeks, there we had to draw off our precious Sunday afternoon for a small meeting with our associate – an associate by the name of Dzof – acting as a consultant for the technical side of our operations. This gentleman can be considered as the lifeline of our organization. Much of the spin-offs in our directions which later we call it as brainchild are originated from him.

Being him as an Oxford-trained mathematician, I can tell that he is very resourceful. And not too much if I label him as a genius. Anyway, during our break at the mamak shop last two Sundays, there was one topic derailed from the main topic we were discussing – about the corruptions in our country. Perhaps the topic took longer than our actual meeting did. Since he is also a columnist on a fortnightly basis with the Star newspaper, it as well inspired him to write about the topic. See here. I am not too sure whether the big story of it had to go through censor board, deemed not fit for print or he chose not to write it in the first place.

And back to not having time to actively blog, I think next time around it’s a good idea if I just link to some write-ups by my personal friends over the net or may be copy & paste on some interesting topics.

But… on second thought… Naahhh…! I may not be prolific but I have a hunch that people would prefer to read something original. If not, why blog?

Well, maybe to write once a week is no big deal to me but to go knock on the doors of other bloggers with bouquets of flowers in hand, it’s kind of hard to do now.




_________________________________________________________________________

22 comments:

simah said...

u r a very caring blogger i have to say..yes..ihave to admit, i share ur feelings as well (esp when i cant update my blog )...

but then..ur avid readers wont be dissapointed if u dont update whenever u r unable to..just drop a line saying that u r busy... we all will understand surely ..u have got a real life too:0)

just take care....

n yes! we expect the originals from u only :0)

silversarina said...

memang betul apa you cakap...

I always 'check-in' to read a new entry but I understand blogging is only for leisure and a bit of cyber socializing ( banyak yang tersirat sebenarnya )...

Blogging has helped me to be a better person... I confess :)

Kak Elle said...

bro busy you tu money coming in:)you're rite even one entry a week will do afterall its original and about knocking at our doors not too worry we understand.

Sometimes I tried putting an entry but somehow give up halfway as there's nothing much to write...kang tulis diri sendiri people will think nak show off pulak so better put up on cooking and recipes bolih share ramai2 kan?

take care and all the best

ps by blogging I've made a lot new friends:)

Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

hi gab :o)

i'm one of your avid readers ( a confession).

an original entry a week is sufficient food for thought :o)

if you're too busy to blog, i'd/we'd understand :o) ... agreeing with simah, you/we all have a life to live :o)

being a newbie, i share the same concerns but i'm also trying to wean myself from blogging & blog-hopping every day, desperately need to get some work done hehehe

i believe blogging should be a hobby & not another job :o)

:o) take care :o)

anggerik merah said...

Sir Gab,

I second to what others had commented.

I believe it is very normal to feel that way. And priority in our life, we determine.

For me, why blog...it is an avenue for me to capture my thots, my diary, my emotion. I met many wonderful friends out there and some are for real even the distance separates us. I kept blogging until now even many times I wanted to abundant for many reasons.

U take care Sir...

NorAiniJ said...

What? What did u say? Do no more bouquets of flowers for me? Hehehe…

It’s ok sir, we understand. Just keep entertaining us with that once-a-week-entry from your heart, it really worth much more than a dozen of red roses on valentine’s day.

Eddie Putera said...

GABBY...jom main golf ah..forget blogging.

Anonymous said...

Gab, I enjoy reading your blog & also some bloggers here. Keep on posting your story when you are free.

Makcik Runner said...

i'd like to know who's kopi_o. jantina laki ke pompuan? very mysterious person. i drink kopi o cap kapal api or sometimes cap rambutan (this brand is only available at teluk intan) at home when i'm running out of ovaltine.

btw, i blog bcoz everybody else's doing it. so i blog lah. do u blog kopi_o?

jaketbiru said...

the temptations of not commenting on your new posted articale make me like.. cacing kepanasan..

i wonder why.. may be i had also infected by the same wabak..

simah said...

by the way.. dear gab..sapa yg suruh u..*go knock on the doors of other bloggers with bouquets of flowers in hand*? we all expect u come knocking with diamonds n gold *wink*..hahahahahaha

ala... like the above coments.. tak yah bloh hop... we understand u r busy... tapi tu la.. once a week tu jangan la lupa update blog :0)urentry is always refreshing :0)

dlt said...

like simah said, we r waiting for u to knock on our doors with diamonds and golds. at least we could keep them forever, unlike the flowers. tapi kalu bunga plastik lain cite lah. not to worry, sir gab. once a week is just fine with us, as long as ada new entry. keje gives u money, blogging gives u satisfaction.

Anonymous said...

Sir Gab, we read, we understood and we felt the same way.

Do you know this particular song..."You don't send me flowers anymore"?

ManaL said...

What a kind and romantic soul that is you, sir (a man who can cry on the right moment cant be anything less than that).

Ditto to all of the above.

So ur background is mathematics, and now u r dynamically calculating numbers while u r ascending all the way to the higher corporate ladder position. Semoga allah terus murahkan your rezeki.

Oh and by the way, treat your blog writing like having roti canai on a Sunday morning. Surely u would lose its taste if u eat it every single day, but if u crave for it for 6 days till u get your chance to "devour" it on th 7th day, the outcome is of course: A joyful , and perhaps to the extent of a meaningful moment as those crunchy yet soft and sticky roti canai covered in dal (and mixed with some curry and/or sambal ikan bilis maybe) hit your tastebuds and then slowly makes it way down ur tummy.

1st para: Thats how i get to know you and many more articulate bloggers. I was actually humbled on getting some attention from a big shot like your good self, sir.

Anonymous said...

skung baru hang tau perasaan cheq arr...hehehehe. u're still the best bro!!

UglyButAdorable said...

bro...u are indeed a caring blogger... i guess sometimes i'm trying to be it too..but damn the streamyx service..arghhh..

Theta said...

It's okay if you can't drop by our blogs as often as before, just as long you keep entertaining us with a host of interesting facets of your life...... ;-)

~ GAB ~ said...

`



SIMAH --> Thank you for your understanding. Anyway, I try my best to update once a week. Hey so far I never have failed to enter my craps in.





RINA JORDAN --> Thank you for always checking in my humble blog. Blogging indeed is for leisure and cyber socializing thing but the bottomline is we are still humans, that's why it still involves feelings.




KAK ELLE --> Glad to know one of them is Kak Elle in this blogosphere.
Definitely I will knock on yours any time soon.





SYANA --> Hey thanks for coming to read what craps I had to write and welcome to the blogger world. Yes, it's a hobby and far off from job for that matter. Like I said to the reply to RINA above, we are humans after all. Being a well-centred person emotionally, no doubt I still concern what people would feel through my writings.





ANGGERIK MERAH --> And I am glad I stumbled upon a nice person like you in the blogging world. HAve a good life dear.





NJ --> Like I said, to write is no big deal to me because I don't have have to go through any editors to strike out my points with red-marked here and there. But to bloghop is another story.





DJINSAKTI --> I have to correct my "zing" first because it seems that I sliced a lot in golfing but in blogging, my slicing is rather acceptable though by people though... hehehehe





KOPI O --> Thank you for the encouragement. You make me stronger by the day.




KC --> I share the curiousity with you about Kopi O. All I know he is a guy and is is IT as I am. I know he's nice as well, as nice as Kopi Cap Kapal Api that I never missed every single night at home.





NIDE --> You make me feel like not alone feeling that way. Have a good day Sir.





SIMAH --> ~SMILE~ Would love to knock all doors with all diamonds, gold and what not. And thank you for your understanding, again SIMAH...





DLT --> I will sure spend some time this week visiting all these wonderful people and you are always in my list.






NORABELLA --> I know that song and I love it NORA, "You don't send me flowers anymore" is a song by Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond if I am not mistaken.





MANAL --> I have corrected my sentence in the entry that gave you wrong impression as I am the mathematician instead of Dzof my friend. I am with the engineering background MANAL.
You always have kind words for me and I thank you so much. I am not that graceful in accepting compliment due to me feeling I should've done better but, again, thanks.

P/S: I like the roti canai theory ~ Smile ~





DEA --> You are just as great my dear. Thanks.





UBA --> Talked to you over the phone the other day made me have a good impression over you. Surely you are adorable but I doubt you are ugly though... hehehe Thanks dear.

~ GAB ~ said...

PB --> ~SMILE~




THETA --> I try to entertain if it is at all entertaining.
Thanks.

m i n e r a l . . . said...

kita sdg menghadapi situasi yg hampir sama, cuma lokasi, masa, dan keadaan berbeza heheheeh...

actually i juz receive ur sms, its make me smile... n remind me how wonderful this world dan sgt bersyukur lahir di MALAYSIA yg mempunyai pelbagai kaum terutama kaum yg mempunyai majoriti populasi teramai didunia. hehehehe... tp kan donkey dan horses tu kalau kentut sure sama busuk jugak jejejejeje.

p/s: takleh balas ur sms, kredit br sengaja dihabiskan hehehe.

Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

gab,

please, what you wrote are never craps, ok. your entries help me to ponder on my life too.

keep blogging your heart out. i know i am :o)

*smile*

~ GAB ~ said...

TUN --> Thank you for understanding me. Our relationship for more than 5 years has never goes to waste.





SYANA --> Thank you for looking at what I came up with can somehow help others to think. I'll blog if there's time for me to do so.

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter