Monday, December 04, 2006

…so the cat was on the tree top



“Dog chased a cat. Cat ran up the tree”. Until this day I remember this sentence very well when we were taught in a classroom a few decades ago. That entailed the phonetically impertinent by the pupils in our classroom, en mass we chorused, “Dok cheh a kek. Kek reng ak da tri”. You try to say it over and over again, at speed. It sounds like a mix between the tribal lingua franca of Mount Andes and Old Sanskrit. Erk, how do I know the way they sound?! Anyway, it became my evergreen personal joke, shared with my wife. I am sure she will laugh when she reads this from her office.

I want to relate to my recent endeavor positioning the enterprise that I the self-proclaim head honcho, spearheading to becoming more reputable and respectable entity than one perceived mere player in the market, avoiding botch and blunder, curtailing disparaging decision makings as not to be atypical to big boys’ games. It is a long way to go if not an uphill battle but to the very least, dare to dream is triumphant enough for an organization that not in the beau monde circle we are.

This is strange...!
More often than not feline cannot get along well with canine, fine, if you cannot beat them, join them. But, the fact remains; not being welcomed is one thing and being chased out is another while staying put is not even an option. Remote chance of it, the felines may get christened into the clan but it would take a whole intricate, labyrinthine rituals altogether. I am that feline now. I may not be swallowed whole by the canine but sure it pricks my skin and breaks a bone or two and left me bleeding for a slow painful death next to the monsoon drain if I stay. In the first place, I won’t be sprinting off if no one charged at me. How I wish that canine was gagged. Thus, what option do I have? I’d run as fast as I can, take refuge to higher places knowing the canine can’t follow my act; relinquish all possessions that are rightfully belong to me down there, the tree is an only option left for me. And…one minute you thought you were safe and in the next minute a different set of tribulations emerged on the high-up. Heard of the cat owners call the fire engine for rescue?

Beam me up Scotty!

We have gone fighting with the big boys stealing punches right on the nose the time they are lulled. And kick them in the crotch when they flamboyantly displayed their chest hairs. Fly an elbow below the jaw when the referee was not looking, swinging jabs to the sides of the rib cage in desperado and all. Hell we fit the bill as a fighter but still, size matters; in the end you are cornered. Bantamweight is simply not a fair match for the featherweight let alone the heavyweight. We have no way out. We look for ways seeking support from the government. We do not fancy that MSC Status Certificate just to be nicely framed in the office with the spotlight beaming on it hence, mere industry status quo to be reckoned with. It’s an expensive wooden frame you know, and the type of the glass used is of a high quality too, not bad what that Chinaman in Salak South came up for us. And my secretary complained of the blinding effect from the spotlight, had it moved to another corner.

We know it too well on what we are capable of doing. All we need is just the opportunity for a break, not even monetary means for that matter. We are counting our blessings. If the right opportunity comes knocking at the door, we’ll grab it with both hands, drag it in screaming and kicking.

Still, it’s no easy route to follow even though when you bow before your master in diffidence. Heard of the lines when a smart aleck with his clever hoax embellishing the gullible? Of course not, I made this up.

“You make a call when the coin’s in the air”

“OK”

“It’s up now, tail I win, head you loose…. Make a call quick…”

“Tail!”

“Ahahaha…It’s head. You loose…”

“Wait a minute… you cheat on me!”

“Whoaaa… Your eyes are like a hawk's, yeahhh, you’re right it’s not Head; it’s Tail… I win!”

“What???!”

8 comments:

Idham said...

GAB...

I just love this phrase....donno why, but i like it so much...

"But, the fact remains; not being welcomed is one thing and being chased out is another while staying put is not even an option".

Perhaps, I have been there before!

Idham

Anonymous said...

It must be a male thing - referring to the analogy used...As a very-stupid-kenot-login-rad, I have to reread this entry again & again..my advise -dont wait for opportunity to come knocking at the door!

Irrelevant question perhaps: Your wife don't have a blog?

~ GAB ~ said...

IDHAM -->I bet you know you were. Perhaps, you as a seasoned player in the corporate world know it too well, this is part and parcel of it. Very true indeed, at one point or another before grabbing hold on what we want, it'd put you in such situation.

ANONYMOUS --> Thanks for the advice. On mitigation, I'd say, of course we are not waiting for mountain to come to us, we'd go after it. Like I said, we are fighters and very good at it at our own right. It's just that, to make a break for a "big boys" game we are not to the standard just yet. We need some kind of catalysts from the top to be in high gear.

My wife? Nope, she doesn't blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gab,

This happens all the time! After all as they say, 'It is a dog eat dog world'! What more 'Dog eat cat'. Expect the world to be a complex labyrinth and with that we will have a few knocks here and there (knocks memang wajib kena, to expect any success..ha ha), where we will definitely survive, and push on stronger with lessons learnt. Easy enough?? He he..I know, I heard it before, easier said than done! But must do, nevertheless.

Anonymous said...

from a feline.. r u now part of the canine clan?

m i n e r a l . . . said...

hi gab...
(tetiba jari krem nk tulis lak)

(shit...im blurrr again)
jgn marah gab...hehehehe


p/s: nk call gab tp tak sempat-sempat lagi.

jaketbiru said...

hehehehe gab... these is another one of malay trying hard to his best in SPP exam...

... When Ali terpijak the kulit pisang.....

~ GAB ~ said...

RUBY --> Right, it's a complicated world much more than we ever thought of. Push on stronger with the lessons learnt is what the sensible person would do. Thanks.

BTB --> I keep on backspacing trying to translate that but in the end I cannot come with the decent one. Do it for me please!

SIMAH --> In a sense of word we are talking about here, strive to be one but never in the context of behaving like one. Let the feline blood flows in the canine clan.

TUN --> It's OK TUN, I read your mind clearly especially when I talked to you over the phone this afternoon. Heck of guy, you.

CYAN --> SPP? And... what about that Ali thing? hehehe. I need to spend one good hour over a cup of Cappuccino with you to have that right. Thank you man. Perhaps Kuantan is as good as ever.

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter