Friday, December 29, 2006

2007: ANOTHER NEW YEAR



Towards the end of the year, generally, people are busy preparing for the upcoming new year. For some reasons it is obvious when January comes, it marks another page of life whether we like it or not. The ones with no specific goals to achieve will regard it as just another new year, but, for the wise persons, it serves as a reminder for the lifespan is now shortened and perhaps closer to death.

I remember stories from my old folks those days. Long before the establishment of modern life, the calendar for them was marked based on events like planting season, harvesting season, rainy season, but less notable on the turn the year. One thing for sure, what significant to them was based on their lifestyles for it would then become apparent in their way of looking at the turn of time. You may have heard of our forefathers those days referred to age of a person like the time when he or she starts to walk as a baby, when he has had his circumcision done, when she starts having menses of sorts, but nothing specific on what age they were in numbers and what year. Take for instance, the way they measure children’s schooling age was to curl the arm around the head and try to touch the ear on the other side. If it touches, that means the child is ready for schooling. The ones with big heads or short arms would then be unlucky. No wonder there happened to be cases where big boys with thick moustache like Dato' K in primary schools, far too big and hairy for the peers. There was a boy champ out in arm wrestling with his classmates, so I heard.

Well now, new year is rather something of a significant occurrence due to our lifestyles we are adopting.

Of all the many things about new year, apart from the new year celebrations and the amount of money needed for schooling kids or wrapping up things in office, one cannot help but thinking of new year resolutions. For most individuals, perhaps new year resolutions have been lined up weeks before. But, some may also get fed up with resolutions and choose not to have one because none of the past years’ worked out. Personally, I do not start having my resolutions prepared for a new year coming but I prefer to have it commences on my birthday instead. Anyway, regardless of when the starting and ending point is, resolutions somehow are the reflections of our minds on our hopes and dreams – occasionally, reveries. I consider myself as an organized person, but the irony is I never had them written down though. I prefer to have those hopes and dreams orbiting my mind, protracted vividly in a cosmic of its own. It's too personal for me to have it documented.

What ‘bout you? How do you treat your resolutions?

On working life, it’s different though. For my own organization, by this time of the year, the master copy of next year strategies in hard covers is already potted off. So to say, it seals all the corporate hopes & goals in the coming year, the collective “resolutions” to act as guidelines and reference for a year stretch – a product after weeks of brainstorming, discussing and arguing in the board room. Need not to mention throughout the course, sometimes faces are turning red when it brickbats over your unfounded suggestions and ideas. So to speak, ideas are just like diamonds in the rough, preliminary selected, then put onto the grinding machine, polished and shined and eventually put it under the spotlight in the showcase. The idea will then no longer belong to an individual but the whole team. The new and fresh ideas are not uncommon if they would affect the 5-year plan that resolute only last year and a new version of yet another 5-year plan emerges. Above all, it’s not even funny when the 5-year plan is revised and changed every year. It is a game of calculated guessing.

Managers are now busy working out on plans to meet the corporate strategies for their specific departments and sections.

Those years, I used to interpret over the directions from the board when I was a senior manager. I used to confine myself down to precision on instructions from higher management when I was a rookie in management team. I used to patch up orders from bits when I was an executive in congregating the standards set by my managers. I used to be pushed around by my seniors when I was a junior executive. During that time I would be very vocal over things I didn’t like but very serious in taking to mean in all tasks and duties. Blessed with some eloquence, many times I saw my superiors dipped their heads in the sand when I laid out my points over the big table. Sometimes it boomeranged. May be it was due to me as a young guy who thought of having a lot of ideas and capable of managing bigger things. But, when you grow older and wiser, having heavier responsibilities and get to see the maze of abstractions, you’d start to realize what’s hidden in the master plan of the organization. Bark all you want, change you may not. Sometimes you are pawned by default and coded to pit into a casualty list in order to save the commanders.

It’s all in the game.

And now my turn to set the game plan, but I am glad God has not allowed me to plan things at the expense of others.



SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDIL ADHA. I sincerely hope visitors to my blog would not get offended from my writing all these while. Forgive me if sometimes you may get offended by my words, it’s never my intention.

GAB: Happy New Year & Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Adha to all Moslems

(One year ago, on the date, FROM THE GOVERNOR'S DESK was born, Happy 1st birthday to my blog)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i prefer 1 muharram (Hijrah) as my celebration of new year...
for this year, one of my dream came true... i'm so suprised when selected to join bumiputra franchise entrepreneur under PNS scheme for siswazah, but they only finance me 90% of working capital... the rest need to borrow from along.... hehehe... thanks god!!

Idham said...

:) GaB ...a aidiladha and new year greetings for you and your family.
Your recollecion of the old days made me smile reading. Many a times I too had to try reaching for my ears around my head - everytime an uncle or auntie came visiting.

My new resolution for 2006 - met and upheld until today - was to stop a 30 year habit of smoking.

My new year resolution for 2007 - on trial since the last two months already
is to walk for at least an hour everyday - a change from walkibg whenver it I FEEL like it ind of routine.

I guess HEALTH feature high on my personal list of priority.

Best wishes to you GaB.

Idham

merapuman said...

Gab, Selamat Hari Raya and Happy New Year.

I think, i'll write my resolutions this year and make it public. it will be great it i can achieve it.

silversarina said...

Salam Aidil Adha and Happy New Year to you and family...

2007 resolutions???
I guess I'm more than happy with my present life....hope happiness remains...so, no new resolution for 2007.


Rina Jordan

anggerik merah said...

Gab, happy 1st anniversary to your blog.

Nice entry! Reflecting how you think at different stages in the company. New year resolution for me come in stages within a year. I rather write it down so that I cud remind myself and track my progress.

Happy new year to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gab,


You said, 'but I am glad God has not allowed me to plan things at the expense of others'.

No point! GOD is all seeing and all knowing. As they say sometimes 'It is better to lose the battle but win the war'.

Have a meaningful 2007.

nanies said...

Selamat Tahun Baru..Salam Aidiladha n Hepi Aniversary to ur blog..heheh

~elly~ said...

salam GAB...Selamat Tahun Baru.. Thanks for d sms..

Makcik Runner said...

komen ni utk bunga001. ko nak jadi bisneswoman yek bunga? nak jual roti ke? buat yg gebu2 cam dlm gambor tu yek?

Anonymous said...

tgh carik modal 10%........ anak melayu nak carik 10% pun susah....

~ GAB ~ said...

BUNGA --> It's a good start with 1st Muharram.
Congratulations on franchise entrepreneur thing. It can be a good start for you Munga... And I can be proud because you're my neighbour.

IDHAM --> hehe... manually determined for the schooling age.
And.. good for you (on your resolutions). Perhaps health is the very thing top in agenda. What's the point of wealth if health does not compliment it. Kan?

MERAPUMAN --> Good! I'll go read your resolutions in your Merapu Land. I can bet, personal thing is always personal and you won't put it up on your blog.

RINA JORDAN --> I took a peek at your blog. Nice!
And... no resolutions for you? To have the happiness to remain can be considered as a resolution as well.

ANGGERIK MERAH --> I think you have gone through those stages in career ... and you know it too well then.

RUBY --> I know what you mean Ruby. When it comes to corporate planning, circumstantially we have to succumb to less than fair thing in our planning. Try my best to make everyone happy with the organisaton they make a living with.

NANI --> Thank you NANI.... Selamat Tahun Baru

ELLY --> Salam utk ELLY (My common phrase to ELLY) and thank you for the wish, likewise to you.

KC --> Bunga gebu? Or roti gebu? weheheh

BUNGA --> I wish I could help but I myself need more help than you. hehe

Anonymous said...

Wah...Bunga ada berita gembira tapi tak nak citer ngan kakak-kakak ye...takpe...takpe...!

Tak nak ketinggalan nak ucapkan Happy Birthday untuk blog GAB. Semoga tuanpunya blog sihat selalu, panjang umur, murah rezeki, so boleh mem'blog' selalu.

1st Birthday...tapi counting dah over 16k! Banyak peminat nih...

Smile.

~ GAB ~ said...

Thank you Amaria. I hope I'll always find time to maintain the blog.

Anonymous said...

Willkommen und Hallo hier im Sextalk.


Der Sextalk bietet ihnen die Möglichkeit ficken gesucht und vieles mehr,unter anderem Sexgeschichten
Hier im besten Sextalk erwarten dich ficken gesucht Aufregend chatten
Suchst du Sexgeschichten , sicher bist du hier genau richtig.Also,stellt sich die Frage,worauf wartest du?
Aufregend chatten free live sex chat ,schnell anmelden .
Du suchst jemand von Thurgau, in München, oder in Recklinghausen , oder von Prilly, oder aus Hallein? Bestimmt ist da jemand dabei.!

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter