Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Men Are At Risks Too!



Ladies who are generous in the chest department have always caught my attentions. I hate to say this as if I am opening up my own can of worms, especially in writing – in a blog, of which what’s written is considered as the reflections of what’s on the writer’s mind. It can be read by people who may or may not know me in the real life and it could be perceived wrongly by readers. Perhaps some might get offended. But reality has it. Manal used to describe me in her comment as, GAB: A doting father, a persevering husband, man's man who likes it heavy at the top and resourceful nonetheless.

The trait of liking heavy at the top doesn’t blend well with other traits as a man who appreciates love and loving, it seems. Or does it? Manal has got PhD under her belt while I don’t; perhaps she knows better than me what she is talking about. So I pull myself down to believe what she said, a great deal to my penchant anyway.

Well, to figure it out as a levelheaded person, yes, nothing’s wrong with it. It is only wrong when one is a hypocrite, a quack to his own self, even. Say one thing meant another – loathed the outmoded dressings and observe its etiquette religiously and yet not wearing underwear himself. Got it? Nobody in the right mind would slide fingers into his pants to find it out. Would you?

But, wait a minute! Are you saying I should’ve kept it to myself and not necessarily have it written down? Oh boy, I can never get away with smart alecks. If that’s the case, I am doomed with my own words.

Be it!

That was just the preamble. I was actually browsing through the net to gain better knowledge on cancer, breast cancer only came to my attention a while later. The thought of cancer in general is scary somehow, with its mockery, when you have it; you have it, regardless of what. Prevention measures are just so much to curb the inaugural of it and medical doctors are in fact still in lurch over its actual cause. The closest we can get thus far just know the contributing factors of it and the best thing to do is to wean away from those. Of the hardest one is when cancer cells run in your blood “genetically”. The experts are still debating over this possibility though. Let them be.

Talking about cancer, breast cancer, I am annoyed by another fact. Unlike many of us think, breast cancers among men, actually is not a strange thing to happen even though it is prevalent among women. According to the
report by the National Cancer Registry, in 2002 and 2003 there were 56 and 24 cases of men diagnosed with breast cancer in Malaysia respectively. Statistically small in number but it exists.

My layman apparition when it comes to breast cancer in men is underlined on persons who are overweight with palpable bacons dangling from their chests just like women. And, of course my fact is not substantiated medically. Though, at this juncture, I stopped for a while checking on how I am doing. And, entertaining flashes of a figure that I had known when I was little.

Pak Ngah Pak Mat, I fondly called him Tok Ngah since he was a brother to my granny, was known to be wandering around village in his kain pelikat, shirtless, with only kain lepas hanging on his shoulder. He was a full-bodied man with superfluous flesh if not fat to tolerate his body frame that when he sat down, his breasts would droop and resting on his round and happy tummy. They moved in pace with his breathing, even much more interesting sight to see when he laughed. It amused me as a kid seeing that. I can barely remember when I would go fondle them (with his consent). I wouldn’t have done that if I was already in school – I must be very small still. I’d be playing with it minutes after minutes until perhaps he got annoyed, then his tone of voice told my senses to quit niggling. And it happened again in the next meet.

Tok Ngah had nothing to do with breast cancer to relate to what I am writing here but the first thought came to my mind when I naively theorized; overweight men are most likely would develop big and meaty chests and hence susceptible to breast cancer.

Somehow if we look into the
contributing factors in the table below, the food we eat contributes the biggest (not necessarily being fat).

Just to make myself happy with my unfounded theory, based on the factors in the table above, I’d say, what is food and eating if not related to gaining weight, be overweight and get fat? When you trash in more food than your body ever needed, chances are, and you will be overweight and get fat. When you are fat, rule of the thumb for men said, you will experience meaty chests as good as a user of 42D size. But not necessarily for ladies I supposed, I can swear Dolly Parton never made such impression on me as being fat to be her as her.

Now I am happy!

So gentlemen please consume good and healthy food and eat less to remain healthy and happy. If you already have those unwanted meats dangling from your chests, I don’t really suggest for you to waste your money to pack ‘em up with the brassieres. As an alternative you can borrow it from
Jokontan! (Kidding, man!)

7 comments:

Makcik Runner said...

yeyy..i'm the 1st to comment! susah nak dapat top spot nih hahaha! hmm dangling meat on the chest..camana nak komen nih ek? i think i better get my hubby to go fr mammograms checkup larr coz he also has some portions on the chest..kihkih!

ManaL said...

I heard and read about that breast cancer potential afflicting men too.

Sir GAB, you have made me gulped sekejap when i saw that you have referred me in your text. Rasa segan plak dah. But THANK YOU, sir, for i have inspired u to write on heavy, meaty chest issues among men.

It's not just u, women like me also look with admiration at other women's (and men's) beatiful assets. What to do...looking at beautiful things can be therapeutic innit.

merapuman said...

beauty in the size.

ok.. ok.. i confess. i miss the whole point of your post except for the 1st sentence .. ha.ha..

Anonymous said...

Normally, I care less on the blogger's state of mind and the message/s but sometimes your entry really makes my right & left brain switching here & there...:)
I agree. Watch-out for what we eat.

Anonymous said...

u r a loving n caring dad.. but i think u r also a man with a man's mind.. i dont think ur good image will be tainted if u speak of breasts..

mind u..our respected mr idham.. wrote worse sampai at times i just terus tak baca certain entries.. (no offense meant)..

i didnt know that men has breast cancer as well.. thanks 4 bringing the matter up..

~ GAB ~ said...

KC --> Hehehe Get your hubby to join Berlingo KC. That guy has shed many kilos of the unwanted flabs off him. We should've drumming up more on healthy activities in our neigbourhood, Saujana Utama.



MANAL --> It's just another way of appreciating you and your words. Enjoy it!

On admiring other women's beautiful assets, it's not the first time I heard from a woman but something must be very wrong if men do admire other men. Don't you think so?



MERAPUMAN --> you have grown up into adulthood as perfect as it can be and be a man. I am proud of you. wahahaha



KOPI O --> Likewise on me, I care less on the state of minds of other writers/bloggers as well but being me, sometimes I can be too cautious over giving impressions to people even though it is in the "face off" world over the internet. I treat it as in real life communicating for someday, I want to meet them in person.



SIMAH --> Like what my response to KOPI O above, I try my best to give as real as it can be on what I am made of for I sincerely want to know all of you in person. Back in my mind I don't think so it'll taint any but just to speak out on possibilities only.

And yes, breast cancer among men exists.

Anonymous said...

Breast Cancer men
Common Breast Cancer Myths

The first myth pertaining to this disease is that it only affects women.

Second myth that is associated with this disease is that if one has found a lump during an examination, it is cancer.

Third is that it is solely hereditary

The next myth associated with breast cancer is downright ridiculous. Would you believe, that in this day and age, some individuals still think that breast cancer is contagious?

Conversely, some individuals foolishly believe that breast size determines whether or not one gets cancer.

Finally, another myth that is associated with this disease is that it only affects older people. This is not so. Although the chance of getting breast cancer increases with age, women as young as 18 have been diagnosed with the disease.

You can find a number of helpful informative articles on Breast Cancer men at breast-cancer1.com

Breast Cancer men

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter