Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Unlikely Meeting Place



Since I am using highways everyday, it has been ages I don’t really feel the bore stiff from getting stuck in a real traffic jam. Yesterday was peculiar to my ordinary traveling. It took me two-and-a-half hours to get to office, with one meeting too many to skip. I could see the humdrum looks in the faces of other drivers when it took some 30 minutes to travel only less than 200 meters once passed the Jalan Duta toll. Only today I realized some processions were going on at Batu Caves for Thaipusam that the customary users of MRR2 would instead detour at Sungai Buluh toll, just to pile up at the exit.

I heard a car, black-colored BMW 328i, honking, diagonally to my left with merely a car-length behind as I was in the rightmost lane after passing through SmartTag inching my way. And I knew it was me he meant for he kept honking when I turned my face away – in his effort to lock eyes and get noticed. Quick assessing on my mind to look for what wrong I did. “Am I too close for comfort with other car?”, “He spot my broken tail light?“, “Is he the guy who got pissed off with my stern voice when he jumped queue at Dunkin’ Donut at Jejantas Sungai Buluh the day before?” or “Am I mistaken for someone else?”. No! Nothing!

While with little consternation I was harbouring, a smile in his face gave me clue. Great resemblance of the very face I knew some yonks ago – last seen when we bid farewell in school. It became certain when clarion features of him matched the input in my geriatric and tired database. If not for the kind of fortuity we had, we’d have had brushed shoulders in the streets, perhaps exchanging a punch or two over scuffles but we wouldn’t have noticed for who the other party was. The old school alumni sticker proudly displayed at the back screen of the car had done a bit of justice to me.

I tried not to move as he tried to catch up with me to be on my left. I rolled down the window almost simultaneously as he did. It was almost at one go we confirmed each other’s schooling days’ call name and hearty laughter followed.

That laugh has brought back to the time when I carried him on the wheelbarrow in the peach dark of the night playing silly, racing with another wheelbarrow team in the football field while we were supposed to be in bed sleeping. Making funs on the possibilities of the hostel wardens may drop a bombshell on us. We spent time laughing and rolling in the grass over our foolish acts more than we were actually racing. We laughed more than it was funny. We cracked at any slightest tingle. It was not even funny when we hit the goal post, but we were still laughing like mad. Even until this day I could still laugh as much as my kids had when I relate the story to them.

When you are in the driver’s seat and you’re talking to the car driver on your left, it’s a bit awkward on your part. Hardly could hear one another. Only after a few shouts so then we realized we were still as silly as when we were racing using the wheelbarrows those days, I then asked his mobile number.

I was fully aware that when after too long a halt and the car in front start moving that creates space in front you, the driver at the back would be itching for you to move even a yard or two. I could see a gentleman in his Honda Accord behind me started showing choleric expression in his face when enough space for one car in front of me.

It was time to roll up the window and start calling up on the mobile. May be this week neither one of us is in position to make arrangement for a meet up but very soon we will.




GAB: Old friends are incomparable to the newly-met friends. What more when they are childhood friends. And I wonder how the friendships like when it is through the net? Chatroom or Blogosphere! Any idea?

15 comments:

Kak Elle said...

The best antiques are old friends!!

Anonymous said...

dont blogsphere friends n chat friends normally end up one meeting the other?

it may not be as special as the old friends from real life.. but it is just as valuable.. besides.. u can hide ur identity away if u want to..

Anonymous said...

Sometimes chatroom blogsphere friends are more meaningful than old friends coz they feel and share our present thoughts/stories .... they respond there and then right!!....

I dari dulu teringin nak terserempak kawan lama..to no avail yet...

dlt said...

ooo.... so u were the one who caused the massive traffic jam at Jln Duta yesterday? And the day before also? Ayoyo! The last two days was horrible. Selalu sampai lambat. Tapi hari ni, jalan clear giler. And yes, I am working today while everybody else is at home (including hubby, dengkinya...).

Pernah tak Gab jumpa kawan lama, ingat muka tapi tak ingat nama? I'm always in that situation. So bila bercakap tu, try avoid sebut nama. hehe! teruk betul.

Idham said...

:) i am a sentimentalist when it comes to friendhsip....i treasure good friends - always keeping in touch with short sms's, emails and calls.

and i also, drop people who i sense are not genuine from my life - erased! i rather keep my space to people who are genuine.

cyber friendship can develops into real friendship. but until we meet in real life - i rarely place high hope or expectations. there is nothing like meeting eye-to-eye to feel whether hear-to-heart we can click.

idham

Izariza said...

Gab,

To me .. i would call it "rezeki".. and it happened to me too, last couple of weeks.And i know how the feeling was like ~ to unexpectedly meet our childhood friend!

Besides being speechless for moments (sebab tak tau nak start dari mana hahah).. terasa seperti kembali ke zaman di mana kita sama-sama menyusur lorong persahabatan yang tiada penghujungnya!

Err .. dlt,
Saya pernah terjerat dalam situasi begitu .. terasa malu sendiri apatah lagi apabila sahabat itu dengan yakinnya menyebut nama penuh saya! :)

Lollies said...

sekolah mana tu? jalan stesen ka?

i like the traffic picture there, is it yours?

~ GAB ~ said...

KAK ELLE --> Couldn't agree more with you.

But knowing long ago not necessarily grant us as good friends either. It's heart that matters. Don't you think so?



SMAH --> I for one, do cherish frienships and would love to be friends with the ones I know over blogosphere. Regardless how far the friendship can go, it's another story altogether. If the chemistry is right, from there we go.



RINA JORDAN --> You are right also. In other words, the newly-met friends, in blogosphere especially, they can be the most honest people because they are not biased on what they already know about us. They may say things out right on our face and have us learn a lesson or two (if one wants to learn) without having any worry on consequences.



DLT --> :-) Yeah, I was one of them and you make it two, wehehehe. Can't help it when road closures happened.

Ada DLT, you may talk and talk and hoping the name flashes but it didn't. After too long talking, you'll be embarass to ask the name. I'd usually trick out by asking like, "Ko punya nama penuh apa ek, asyik panggil nama gelaran je... sampai kekadang lupa nama sebenar" wekekeke




IDHAM --> Ahhh I know you *smile*. I can bet a million that I don't have, you are the type of person as you claim. You have just enriched me on something I have already understood but cannot find words to put by saying,

"Cyber friendship can develop into real friendship, but until we meet in real life - i rarely place high hope or expectations"

And you added,

"...there is nothing like meeting eye-to-eye to feel whether hear-to-heart we can click"

Very ture Sir!



IZARIZA --> I cannot help but thinking you are poetic by nature IZA. And you must be. I always love to see you put your words.

And right, nothing can replace our old days as you said "...terasa seperti kembali ke zaman di mana kita sama-sama menyusur lorong persahabatan yang tiada penghujungnya!"



LOLLIES --> Well, sekolah somewhere that have saved my life from running the same old life pattern as my old folks.

No Lollies, I took it from the net to grace the page. I should've put the courtesy from who.

Anonymous said...

I don't blogging & not really active in chatting.
So, no komen aaa in the net-ships things... hehehe.

But one thing for sure, I like reading your blog. I admire your strenght,experiences and creativity.

Anonymous said...

Gab, u have a good brain.... all data can memorized inside ur brain. "tak tercapai akalku"

IBU said...

midnight wheelbarrow racing? wuhuhuhu, bestnyer!! I could almost feel the adrenalin gush of the excitement over meeting 'old friends'. Just had an all gals weekend-shopping getaway at BKK last week and oh my gawd!!! it was so much fun. Shop-hop sakan sampai lupa makan. Working moms with kids & hubbies at home, taking a short break just enjoying each others' company in what 'girls' love doing most: shop till they drop. and doing that with the same girls you grew up with since age 13. oh my! such a blast!

m i n e r a l . . . said...

kawan! selagi jujur mahu berkawan, bagi saya kawan zaman kanak2, kawan cyber, kawan chat, kawan blogger...selagi jujur mahu berkawan, tidak tikam kawan [nie selalu dihadapi] itu kawan yg terbaik.... sy pernah jumnpa kawan lama yg sgt baik satu ketika dahulu, dh lama tak berjumpa, bila jumpa masing2 dh berubah heheheh... sy juga pernah alami...byk kali rasanyer... jumpa kengkawan terserempak dishopping komplek or kedai kopi...siap duduk ajak bersembang bagai nk rak... tp dlm hati 'isk sapa nama mamat depan aku nie' hehehe hingga minta biz card br tau sapa gerangan yg berborak dihadapan, if kena yg takde biz kad...adoi kantoi gak...biasa la kengkawan baik sure kena kutuk kaw-kaw punya, sbb memasing dh memahami.... kengkawan baru jer jaga tatasusila skit hehehehe.
kawan cyber ehhehehe...memacam ada...dr yg psyco hinggalah baik sungguh sampai skrg masih kontek walaupun tak bersua muka lagi seprti GAB heheheh ermm berapa tahun dh kenal gab yerk lupa dah? 5 tahun ada tak?

ManaL said...

Sir,

Old friends, new friends....new friends can then be old friends too, old friends can be those whom u knew at a certain period, some of them still good friends with us, while others preferred their own newlyfound circle of friends....To me, i dont mind where my friendship started and that includes cyberchat and blogosphere. After all, and agree to what Idham said, kalau nak kawan, kawan, regardless of the starting point.

Many i knew found their spouse thru internet chat and a few i knew who've been (real-life) friends for quite some time and ended up with some major fall out and no longer friends.

Talking about org tak sabar during slow traffic, one cab hit my bumper as the result. Small damage but not a nice experience at all when it comes to insurance settlement.

mommy@lif said...

bestnya jumpa kawan lama at most unsangkarable place & time! selalu macam ni..kalau jumpa tak ingat nama kan? kalau shopping complex/surau tu tpt std terjejak kasih tapi tgh² trafiic belum pernah lagi.

tinggi nya bahasa you guna nih.. keep it up

~ GAB ~ said...

KOPI O --> You are one of them that I am dying to read what you have to write in your own blog, forme to learn what's behind your thinking. Anyway, we can remain this way if you wish.
I thank you for your kind words. So then, I will not try to be more than me for what me is me is sufiecient enough. And I feel good!




BUNGA --> Well BUNGA, it's just a matter of putting it into words to relate to what we've gone through. Everyone has their own stories also.



IBU --> Ahhh... it must be nice for you to be a "bachelor" mother & wife once in a while. Nothing beats the fun of being around with old friends we grew up together, right?



TUN --> You are among my friends that I know through the net. Yeah right, 5 years already! Many gatherings I couldn't present myself due to circumstances. I regret for not being able to be at Cherating the other day (to have fun with y'all guys). Among the longest we became friends are, Rizz and Buyie. The other weekend (Yesterday, Sunday, 4 Jan), I did invite Rizz and Buyie for lunch at my house but too bad both couldn't make it. One day, I'll you and the gang for lunch or dinner at my home TUN.




MANAL --> I don't mind either where my friendship started. Either from blogosphere or chatroom. And again I am echoing what you reiterated, kalau nak kawan, kawan, regardless of the starting point. And I have proven myself with a few that the longest known so far come to 9 years.

I met some pain-in-the-ass as well, but I don't regret.




IBU --> Terjejak kasih can happen anywhere right? Wherever it may be, the feeling is the same I supposed (as long as we cherish the friendships that have)

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter