Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Of The Life Pattern Encrypted In the Big Book



It was on Sunday morning a couple of days after New Year, decades ago. Sunday in other places is a day to wind down but not in the East Coast of the peninsular.

Together with a girl from the neighborhood, Anie, we tagged along our old folks walking on the bank of the rice field for our first day in school. By the time we reached school, our shoes were substantially wet from the dew on the tips of the grass we ploughed through,
kemuncup stuck on socks. Mud splattered here and there.

Kindergarten was a strange word, none in the area. I only knew such thing as kindergarten when I was bigger. To be put straight into primary one, I didn’t know what to expect nor had slightest idea on what they actually doing in school. There we were, crammed up into a classroom of more than 40 pupils, seated in the front row, amazed with the big yellow ruler rested below the blackboard, startled seeing the feather duster hanging on the wall behind teacher’s desk.

I met many new friends. All sort of friends including the ones who stick out their tongues when our eyes locked, those who like to make funny faces with eyes crossed, push up the nose tip and snorts and handful of them who would quietly scratch their crotches. Not uncommon to find the ones sporting gooey stuff oozing from the nose. One or two that would cry at slightest provocations. And it was not short of fun.

Learning strikes me as an interesting thing to do. It didn’t take long for me to get hold on my learning after mastering the correct way to hold
pencil and to write a letter ‘A’ that can be recognized as an ‘A’. Sometimes ‘S’ faced backward, ‘N’ suffered the same fate and “W” with extra zigzag. Agitated but determined, I dropped a tear of disappointment in my attempts to twist the tail of ‘g’ but it didn’t work, exhausted the eraser. A tear dropped right on ‘g’. Rough if not clumsy application with the eraser on the watery spot, it punched a hole in my exercise book. And more tears dropped.

Not long after, I discerned such thing called exams too and to everyone’s surprise, I was numbered first in class. I was oblivious. In any other exams, in any terms, I was then always top in class. Anie happened to be behind me all the time if not trailed by two steps. Me smart kid? Nope! I look at it in different way. It was just God’s way of offsetting me on being inopportune and sad kid as an orphan for a feeling of self worthiness. I did nothing. God set it up for me. So then, being top in class had turned out to be impermeable throughout the primary years.

There were times when medical team from district health center made visits on us for health checks or vaccinations or dentistry. It was seemingly so scary. Blood shoots to the head upon seeing the white Land Rover with the Red Cross on it (mind you, those days cross was used before it was changed to crescent) entering school compound, anticipating something horrible were about to happen.

It was this particular girl, a play mate long before schooling, the one that came walking with me on the first day of school, Anie that was. She suffered the worst “panic attack” among us. I don’t know what came into her mind when it comes to doctors or dentists things. Freaked out, at one time she was nowhere to be found. She sneaked out of the school; hide in the dried rice field with crops taller than her for some considerable amount of time before she decided to head home. It worried everyone including our gardener cum care taker, Pak Mail (Pok Well). It only came to everyone’s relief after Pok Well came back with the news she was behind the door sniffling at home. I took trouble to bring back her funny looking
basket used as her schoolbag she left behind, after school.

In one of the medical team’s visits, as expected, it frightened her to death and she cried yet again, much to the hilarity of other pupils – making fun of her. But, I on the other hand, gave her sweets (cakelak anging) I bought from Kedai Tok Ku that morning to pacify her. Hey, she seized the “ordeal” better, except still crying when her name was called. And, her cry could be heard miles away when the needle pierced her skin.

As time went on, my routine was as such, without any clue on what future would’ve hold for me. In the first place, what did I know about the nuance of future? And why would I care? The only thing I knew, I’d walk to school everyday with friends, enjoy my meehoon and air sirap during recess, play some “Denis the Menace” here and “Sinchan” there and look forward for a playtime after school. Since Nintendo and PlayStation were yet to conceptually exist and TV sets were scarce, we had much fun playing hide & seek (nusuk), rope jumping and dekcok. Our daytime seemed too short. Like just minutes before we switched from golek para to dekcok and still halfway to “buat rumah batu”, old folks start calling us home. Darn! The bell rang much too early. It signified the day was called off and the toughest thing to do in the day awaiting – to take a bath.

Playtime, I found it amusing to look back at. Boys and girls played together. We played all sort of games hardly kids these days play. The significant thing that I would later noticed, every time in play, I’d favor to be in Anie’s team. In any disputes among us, I’d take side on her as well. I became very protective over her. Is that the sign of love as a kid and yet I didn’t know how to express it out? Or maybe I was comfortable with myself in her companion? Or perhaps simply due to I knew her much earlier, together with Ariff and Fadhil. God knows, I was just a kid.

Time passed so quickly, one year after another, from one phase of life to another.

Anie, who got terrified seeing people in white robes when she was a little girl, shockingly, fortified with her baccalaureate from a university in UK, later turned out to be much to her daily routine dealing with the bedridden and dying people (she lectures in later part). I have a theory. Perhaps, back then it was too much for her to comprehend the divination foretelling in her third eye; it perplexed, and appalled her upon seeing the fuzz on what she would be dealing in her future. Sounds a bit like a Twilight Zone!

And… the biggest twist of all… She is now my wife. Yeah, right! She’s the mother to my three lovely kids, Fara, Sam and Edrin. Uhuh! You know… the one that I’d be waking up to every morning – with either my arms belted around her tummy or apparent yet pleasant warmth of breath in my chest. It answers why God had created me without a chest like Amitabh Bachaan for if it does, she’d sneeze when her nose dived in it. In turn, I’d never know what I miss.

She specializes in Cardiovascular but never did she administrate any of the routine in her workplace on me – her mere presence in my life is enough for me to enjoy “cardiovascular treats” with every single molecule of air strongly felt every time breathed in and steady and rhythmic pounding of heartbeats that strengthen my heart.

About that vaccination scar on her left upper arm, I was there when it happened – I watched it when it was administered on her. I feel like only yesterday I was looking into her watery innocent eyes when she accepted the sweets from me while she was leaning to the wall outside the classroom facing the open rice field. It is so vivid in my recollection when I was seated just a few feet away, mimicked her crying face the time she had to brave through the jab. Little did I know, sharing of pain and agony started early for us. Least did I realize, I was not only sharing it with my play mate but also with my future soul mate.

Certainly we have a long history.

Not bad for my less-than-5-sen investment with sweets when I was a little boy, huh?

Well… Everything is written up there. We are all the products of heaven. Since we were born in heaven, we intend to have our permanent address up there, as well.

(I know she’ll be blushing reading this from her office)

Today, 17th January, is her birthday… Happy Birthday, Sayang!





Previous entry
HERE

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww...so sweet. I love happy ending...and there's more to come I hope! happy birthday to k.Anie. Semoga dirahmati dan diberkati Allah sekeluarga sentiasa.Amin.
P/s: Tuan Gab, cayalah...sure cairnye k.Anie bila dpt dedication gini. -rad-

dlt said...

fuyoo.... chenta berputik dari kechik. cayalah.... jarang jumpa orang yang kawin dgn kengkawan masa kecik. tak sangka lak ending dia happy cam gini. i tot cerita kisah dolu2 jer. u have done a very good investment with the cakelak anging, gab.
k. Anie, happy birthday.... enjoy ur day. er... Mr Gab dah bagi bday present lum? hehe!

Anonymous said...

yeahh...one year older looks good on u. hepi besday girl!

wahh..yr childhood memory is super strong. I still cant remember some of my childhood days..yg hepi2 jerk ingat..yg tak hepi sangat cam kena rotan ngan bapak tu lagi ler hingat..hehehe

wonda said...

Wow! You masih kecik lagi, you already set your eyes on her. Such sweet romantic story of how you married your childhood sweetheart. Funny how people turned out. She must have been listening to your heartbeat for her, that's why she became one! Happy birthday to your sayang and may both of you have more blissful life forever.

Anonymous said...

Gab,
Interesting to see this special love story...during the early years, now & then. Since, u're very good in story-telling, i'm wondering about all those letters/aerograms ....berapa `guni' ya..hehehe
Selamat Hari Lahir to your `heart & soul'. Juga untuk Gab, Puan Gab & anak2..semoga bahagia dunia & akhirat.

Kak Elle said...

Happy b'day to Anie who is also sharing same b'day date as my niece Nana and nephew Adam.

k.d said...

Awww gosh Gab. What an entry; sweet, meaningful and romantic. K.Anie, wishing you panjang umur, murah rezeki and selamat dunia akhirat.

Idham said...

:) CAIR KAWAE BACO CERITO DEMOE nieh GaB....bisa demaoe dari kechik sapa lo nie bahagia bercinta...
selamat hari lahir puan anie....semoga anie sentiasa happy di samping tuan GAb SEBAGAI mana saya happy dok baco blog dia nih.

idham

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to kak Anie. Semoga Allah panjangkan usia dan melempah ruahkan rezeki kepadamu sekeluarga. Bertuah dpt abg gab jadi suami....hehehheeheh

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum..Tn. Gab.best la baca kisah cinta tn. gab. Moga tn. gab sekeluarga selalu dalam keberkatan. Salam dari Zat

Izariza said...

Gab,

Isteri itu harta paling berharga selain anak-anak. Gembira mendengar berita kebahagiaan saudara. Semoga ketenteraman dan mawaddah yang wujud itu kian mekar ke titik infiniti..

Selamat Hari Lahir buat Mrs. Gab :)

anggerik merah said...

Wow...Gab...the story is so lovely...Happy Birthday to Pn Anie. Wish her young forever.

This stroty remind me of myself when I was young at school...my escapism from dentist...and I was afraid of needle too...plus pullout teeth. It has some backgroung history related to this fear. Will share in my blog later. I recovered this fear only last year...heheh.

Gab, this stiry is really beautiful. May Pn Anie and you are always happy forever.

Anonymous said...

Kak Anie,

U are so lucky to have a good husband and nice memories with him.

Gab,

Pls take care of your lovely wife till end of your life ok.

May Allah bless us..... syukur ya ALLAH.... all people around me is happy.... syukur....

Anonymous said...

hehehe.... GAB... i got an idea after read your story... 24th Jan is my hubby birthday. So, may i do the same.... hehehe....

~ GAB ~ said...

On behalf of ANIE, I thank you for all the wishes. After all, she's reading this too. I asked her to answer but, as expected, she doesn't wanna "mess" it up.


TUN --> TQ TUN, GAB suka apa yg TUN quote tu;

"jauh perjalanan dekat yg dipandang, jauh kenangan makin dekat yg disayang".

It sounds so dearly to me...


RAD --> Happy ending indeed. Bear in mind, in anything for that matter, good things don't come easy. If it is too easy, we tend not to appreciate it.

Hey, how's yuor viva thing? You'll make it dear.


DLT --> Now you see the living example of puppy love turn real, ended up with marriage... and happy one too.

Hadiah? Well, she was having something at the hotel in Shah Alam, I brought the kids together with birthday cake that night. Mini celebration that was. Once her things are over, we'll have another.


KC --> I am very receptive over my surroundings and it'll stay in my mind for long, long time. Even that character still with me until now, I'd observe to the details on everything. Big things everyone can see, small things need special attention, especially when heart that matters.


WONDA --> TQ. Things just happen. With or without our wish, it simply happen when it is meant to happen, likewise if it is not meant to be. In my case, it is just so happened, and I am glad it did.


KOPI O --> Am I supposed to reveal the whole thing here? hehehe. You belonged to a group that really read things between the lines, I love it Sir. To answer your question, lemme tell you, in the last 2 years of my stay in the States, believe it or not I wrote letters to her literally everyday without fail. Believe it!


KAK ELLE --> NANA sure happy with her purple croc and I heard Adam is somewhere in Louisiana... he's doing what?


KD --> Doc, if you find it sweet, I am glad to hear that. To the very least a communiqué through the net, blogging thing does have certain effect on humans' hearts.


IDHAM --> Terima kasih laaa... Ambo ssero beh jah bilo ado oghe tersentuh dgn apa yg kawe lalui.

What if when the time I hit a billion? I am very sure the story will be sensationalized... hahahaha


DEA --> Thank you for the wish DEA. I am humbled by the words, but thank God I still not forget all weaknesses I am possessing as in any other human being.



ZAT --> TQ Zat. How's your married life so far? It has been ages you're missing. I don't even recieve any calls from you since P. Ramlee was still around. Thought of calling, but I lost your number due to change of HP the other day. D'ya mind to send it to my email your HP no. gabenor7@yahoo.com


IZARIZA --> I couldn't agree more with what you said IZA. Thanks. It serves as a good reminder for me.

You said, "ketenteraman dan mawaddah yang wujud itu kian mekar ke titik infiniti.."

Wow, that's very poetic of you. Love it!


ANGGERIK MERAH --> Can't wait to read about your Houdini feat from you escaped the dentist. I'll check it out from time to time. My wife is not alone then.



BUNGA --> Thanks for in a way complimenting on me and again it humbled me flat on my chest on ground when someone got the impression like that. Only to remind me to be better in time to come. God Willing we pray for good life till the end.

Go ahead, do as you wish BUNGA. Make him happy.

Kak Teh said...

Gab, such a wonderful story - you are blessed and a happy belated birthday wish from kak teh to her. am sure you had a wonderful celebration and am sure life for the both of you is a life long celebration.

Anonymous said...

New Blog created.... http://smksaujanautama.blogspot.com/

all about smk saujana utama

Kak Elle said...

gab...Adam now live in baton rogue after doing his master at LSU,he runs his own IT biz with 2 of his friends.My sis is at Kerville in Texas and niece Kristina at San Antonio(k is a writer,she writes books for the slow learners).Yes Nana loves her purple crocs and saturday we having BBQ at my sis place at the roof garden...wanna join us?

Kak Elle said...

sorry missed out...Adam is a software developer:)

ManaL said...

There were some few similarities in your childhood stories with mine too. I tend to remember some details that goes back at a tender age of 3++. Though not all were that vivid but i do save some that had left a certain implications towards my life.

Now, can u think of any local (or foreign) drama/movie script-writer, director and producer to get your enthralling, nostalgic stories adapted into a celluloid flick. It's almost too good to be true, but here u r, a real life proof that what u have written does happen.

Selamat Tahun Baru Ma'al Hijrah 1428,Sir Gab.

Theta said...

Congratulations, albeit belatedly, to Mrs Gab on her birthday!
May Allah bless her and her family with continued levity, prosperity and longevity!
Immerse in and always be grateful for her 'breathtaking' presence for it's not everyday you find a kindred spirit and a soul mate embodied in one person! :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Anie!

Woah..to be reading this entry on ur birthday...that is soooo sweet!! u r one lucky girl!

Love the way u wrote this entry Gab!!ur sweet investments r really fruitful..it got u ur sweet wife there :0)

while reading this entry..i feel so warm to be imagining the lil u n the lil anie...it brings a warm smile to my face...how so very sweet..

aNIe said...

Gab...HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your 'sayang'

Satu entry yang bagai mengimbau kisah lalu kak lady jugak...penuh nostalgia...that basket...hehehe...kalau susun buku memang cantik tersusun...agaknya kalau bebudak sekarang bawak beg camtu pegi sekolah...ntah camaner besar agaknya...

Ckp pasal injeksyen...hehehe...2 x 5 kak lady ni ngan budak perempuan tu...

Mummy Rizq said...

Woo... a love journey. IT'S SO SWEET. HAPPY bIRTHDAY TO HER TOO!

~ GAB ~ said...

KAK TEH --> I am blessed with my love life despite of many shortcomings in other areas I faced. God is fair.



ADMIN --> Thank you for informing me about the blog for SMKSU. BTW, who's behind it?



KAK ELLE --> I was too late before I check my blog when the BBQ session at the roof garden has passed. hehehe. Hey, good for your nephew and nieces... I think they are all blessed with good starts in life.



MANAL --> I suggest you to write in your blog about your experience MANAL. It'll be interesting to read.

Yeah, hard to believe but it's true. I never asked for it but it happened. Hmmm it'll be nice to be on the wide screen huh?



THETA --> First, I peek your blog and yet left no traces. Love you lingo so much. Thanks for visiting me here.

Very true, it's not an everyday thing and it cannot be scripted out either. When it happens it happens.



SIMAH --> As easy as figuring out how the kampung kids look Simah. Nothing fancy, looked so naive and nothing much to shout. heh



KAK LADY --> Hmm Kak Lady guna raga (bakul) tu gak eh? Sure it's cute. I cannot imagine if kids this day using that as their school bags.



MARLINA --> Thank you for dropping by. I visited your blog and interesting to let us look into the worries of a mom having a baby left with maid at home.

Anonymous said...

How nice to live and spend your whole life with a person whom you know all along.....

Happy birthday to your wonderful wife, Anie.

Sorry for the belated bday wish, just came back from homeland and fyi, I didn't have a chance to even glanced at any waterfalls .. maybe next time, InsyaAllah.

~ GAB ~ said...

RINA --> After all it's all written up there. We can do justso much but the final say is always from up above. And of course, it has been a blessing to happen that way.

Next tme around, yuo'd better find time to be at the rivers and waterfalls when you are back here.

Cheers!

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter