Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Of The Thoughts Circling In My Cup of Nescafe

Every now and then I choose to be by myself having my Nescafe at my favourite joint at the ground floor of the building that holds my office. My timing is almost exact everyday as 10:30 am is the time of my choice. Most of the times I get to sit at my favourite table over at the corner of the restaurant with big round pillar at my back, serves very well as an added strength to back me up, subconsciously. Nice open view overlooking the slope with big condominium blocks on my right across the street, up on the steep incline.

“Biasa Bang?!” A young lady would say and I’d quip with short reply, “Yeah!” or sometimes my nod with little smirk is more than sufficient. That’s the familiar short exchange we’d have when she pre-confirms my drink. Occasionally, I’d be ahead of her, “Biasa!” and she’d smile in return. I can take for granted; the steamy Nescafe will be there for me, in minutes. She wouldn’t ask for any orders for food because she knows, more often than not I was there just for drinks – I’d ask when I need it. But sometimes she would. At one time, with her big smile, she swiftly dashed to my table asking – just to create a cyclone of air when she wants me to smell her new “Sweetheart” perfume she’s using and fishing for compliments from me. Rest assured I am always generous with my words.

Oh by the way, she’s a big fan of Mawi!

It is not just about the young lady at the restaurant but also a woman whose working on the flower plants that covered from below the 4-foot high walkway of the building until some 10 feet to the pavement close to the car park. Over the years, I have been watching her taking care of the plants – fertilizing, watering, cutting, trimming and pruning. Every time I am drowning my distress in my Nescafe, she’d be down there nursing the plants. What attracts me is when I see her works with full of passion and dedication – makes the impression of special bonding exists between her and the plants.

I love seeing people doing their best at what they are doing regardless of what they are. I am annoyed to see someone who demonstrates less interest in what they are doing. Have it ever occurred to you when you’re almost at the brink of your outburst with a waitress at a restaurant showing no interest in her work as if you are there to trouble her as a customer? Any experience with a nurse at the counter with thick and heavy glasses gives an outlandish gape at you when asking for information? Ever came across a security guard behaving like he’s the owner of the building? But I know a lady executive friend who admires a hunky Bangladeshi security guard because of his spitting image of Hrithik Roshan. Heh, that’s beside the point!

Back to this flower-woman, I don’t know how old is she but I have a hunch she looks older than her age. I know she’s from Indonesia when it vibrates well in her speech. Deeper in my thought, I surmised her having a family back in her home country with perhaps children to feed upon. Probably, she’s here with the husband in their efforts to make ends meet, leaving the children behind or she could well be all alone here. I have an easy way to know by asking her but it won’t be fun. After all it doesn’t help me much to record the unnecessary data in my head. The very thing that triggers me is, when the thought of her with her life, having to succumb to the living very likely not to her choice but circumstantially she has to face it. Above all, when she is at it, she is at her best. I do not have any specific benchmark to compare her commitments and dedications in work with mine and but I ask myself; whatever things in my hands now, am I to the standard of what she is demonstrating?

Reminds me of Idris, the guy we hired for decorative concrete work in our lawn. According to the neighbours, the charge was a bit too high but my wife and I agreed it was worth the money spent considering the quality of works delivered. I was even prepared to pay higher than the amount he put the price on.

Some years ago in the company I was at, for the company annual dinner, we in the management purposely wanted to have the lower ranking staff to handle the function. Ridzwan was a store hand in the company. Without much details in instructions, he distinguished himself out, outshined, ahead of other peers, even voluntarily took up the stage as a Master of Ceremony for the function. And he played his guitar and sang to the tune of “Isabella” too. Regardless of whether he was singing or not, he did bloody well with all his wits and charms handling the whole function. Successfully!

I took mental notes on every single thing right from the beginning. A few days after the function, I summoned him to my office. Guess what? I pushed him into training department as a trainee junior executive. He was in tears, happy when someone could see what’s hidden in him. On his way out of my office, I could see the gesture of him wanted to give me a hug – lest not proper, he shook my hand – almost crushed my bones. Regardless of what paper qualification he was having or he was not having, I knew that he could handle the job. After yet a few more rounds of tears battling the unknown new world to him, in 6 good months of probations, he managed to position himself as a full-fledged junior executive.

My Nescafe won’t take the whole day to finish. My Nescafe couldn’t wait for my thoughts to last either.

Time to go!

18 comments:

Makcik Runner said...

that ridzwan guy must be singing and dancing in da rain, i know how he feels when given a chance to prove himself.

u remind me of a movie named BIG whereby tom hanks was a kid trapped in a man's body. he works for this one giant toy company and his boss immediately took a liking to him and gave him a big job to handle simply bcoz he knows how to act like a kid and have fun while doing it.

Anonymous said...

a man who can recognise other's worth..u must be really observant..

happy valentine's day to u too :0)

is that plain nescafe or is it nescafe with..hazelnut..or chocolate..or whatever flavour it is they have come up with these days?

k.d said...

Hmmm..I drank Nescafe every morning at home before going to work.. Nice indeed.

Very deep thoughts provoked by the aroma of Nescafe...

mommy@lif said...

very meticulous mind, and observant person. i seldom take nescafe nowadays, used to drink nescafe kaw ais to last my revision session back in college days.

silversarina said...

Nescafe ...I like the aroma...

Lepas balik dari US ,I got my first job in T'ganu.I selalu compared orang Ganu dengan Americans... huge gap in terms of working habit...Americans..so dedicated/committed/hardworking etc..ganu kite...macam nak tak nak je buat keje...then I realised unfair lah nak buat comparison camtu.

But Kelantanese are better than Americans..right Gab ??

aNIe said...

Hubby kak lady adalah jenis orang yang kalau diberi tanggungjawab ...dia akan melakukan sesungguh hati...berkat kerajinan serta azamnya lah maka dia berjaya menjawat jawatan sekarang walaupun dahulu dia cuma seorang pencuci kereta di pejabat kerajaan.....

Lollies said...

oohhh siap ada bauan lagi nak minum nescafe. :P

saya salute itu ridzwan

anggerik merah said...

Happy valentine's day to you too. Me too impressed with the guy Ridwan. Sometimes we will not know the people's hidden potential until we provoke them.

NorAiniJ said...

Bro Gab, I think you should demand some commission from Nestle lah. I bet their Nescafe sales are skyrocketing after your posting here.. hehe..

Intan said...

Salaam Gab,
I'm a people watcher. Sometimes when my husband and I are hanging out at the teh-tarik stall or the mall, we'd make-up stories about the people passing by. Makes very interesting conversations!

Some people are blessed to be able to do many things very well.

Some people can only do just that one thing.

And of course, there are those unfortunate ones no matter how we try to help them, they just cannot get it.

Bersabar sajalah.

nanies said...

salam GAB rasanya lari dari topik nie..mana pergi gambar burung yg terbang tu..ermmm nescafe mmg best..

Anonymous said...

Salam Gab, That guy was indeed a lucky guy to have managed to attract your attention to his hidden capabilities and talent. And my...you too have hidden talent to see such thing too.

jaketbiru said...

... hmmm i do always dealing people who seem not happy with their job... on the other hand.. i always start my conversation with 'assalamualaikum' with clear distingtive voice with smile..

assalamualaikum.. tangki penuh yer dik/cik.. pam no 13. ((it always 13 i do not know why)).. terima kasih...

i always pay extra so that i can collect the balance..

assalamualikum dik.. pam 13 tadi..
((senyum lagik))).. terima kasih... assalamualaikumm..

that's it... she/he will be in jolly mood after that.. just try it.

IBU said...

talent spotting at work! keep those radar alive and give someone an opportunity to get on. well done gab!

p/s ibu dolu selalu gak kena cekup jadi MC for office functions. Dulu la, masa mude-mude. La ni dah pass baton lah! haha....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations boss! Sure ramai nak jadi staff Gab ..:)
Wish to write more while I'm enjoying mine too.. but cannot lah.
Wishing u & family.. happy holidays!

Idham said...

:) want to join u for ur nescafe one of these days...curious abt the gal with "sweetheart" perfume.

am a good talent spotter too..hehehe

idham

yatt said...

100% agree with intan on those unfortunate ones...

~ GAB ~ said...

KC --> I love the play by Tom Hank in that movie KC.

Well, Ridzwan deserved to be at that place, very talented but unfortunate with paper qualifications.




SIMAH --> Observing people happens to be my hobby. To recognize one’s worth, to me, it manifests by itself to how small I am as a person SIMAH.

Many flavours in the market lately but the original without any fancy addition or perhaps with classic add-up of cream always the best.



KD --> You must be hooked to the caffeine thing Doc. Hehehe. Yeah, I love it and it refreshes your mind.




MOMMY ALIFF --> Meticulous? I don’t know good or not but most of the times I’d see deeper than I supposed to. When I am at the interesting event or function, it amazed me the way the direction of the whole set-up (people behind) as much as the event itself. Can be very critical at times.




RINA JORDAN --> I am not in position to say Trengganu people are not dedicated in their work since I have no data to back me up and no specific personal experience to relate with. After all it’ll create wrath in Trengganuans if I say so. To be fair, people anywhere are the same, depends on what motivations they have.

Kelantanese, somehow majority of them have to struggle in life, even the annual flood has created a kind of immunization and catalyst to push harder to overcome adversities – that perhaps contributes to the factor. We don’t talk about political suppression yet!



KAK LADY --> That’s the living example very dearly to you. Even though it’s not rags to riches story, it is something Kak Lady. Or may be it is? I am amazed with your hubby.



LOLLIES --> Weheheh bauan tu masa2 dia je LOLLIES.

Ridzwan, if you know him in person, you’d sure drop a tear. Very humble, had a hard life, started his life selling burger in PJ after trying his luck in KL. But he likes to read a lot. With his general knowledge, he didn’t look out of place over the dinner table, he knows the subject he’s talking about.



ANGGERIK MERAH --> He’s the guy AM. There are many great people out there that their talents go to waste due many factors. When the system is right, we may find those potentials. Likewise when I was talking to a friend about our national football team, my friend said, there are hundreds of Becham in Malaysia and yet not discovered due to lack of system.




NJ --> I try to highlight this posting to the management of Nescafe, who know, I may get supplies of Nescafe for a lifetime? Wehehehehe




INTAN --> It’s fun to watch people huh? I do watch a lot. I spent hours and hours of my time watching. The end of the day, I’d come down to myself, grateful for life I am having and realize many shortcomings I am possessing.

We try our best to help and yes, sometimes they fail to help themselves; it’s just so much we can help, then.




NANI --> I’ll catch another burung for you NANI. I help get the cage to make sure it won’t fly off again.




NORABELLA --> Let me reposition your words. I was lucky indeed to have the opportunity to spot the hidden capabilities and talents of his without me having the intention to do that initially.




CYNIDE (Jaket Biru) --> Hmmm why Pump No 13? I think you always go to your favourite gas station because you know what to expect over there. Hehehe. And thank you for the tips.




IBU --> It was just by chance to spot but always on alert with what around me.

Hmmm you must be an eloquent speaker IBU. And must be very charming too… Psstt… get back the baton! hehehe




KOPI O --> heheheh KOPI O, that’s very cute of you. Come write some more when you have time.

Happy Holidays to you to.
Raya Cina kat mana?





IDHAM --> I’d love to have Nescafe with you Sir one day. You need not to be that curious when you know it too well I learnt all the trades from you, to charm and to be charming… wahahahahah

I know it too well you damn good at it when I know how talented you are at making people feel good.




YT --> Thank God we are dealing with people around here who have big hearts. Have a good day!

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter