Saturday, May 05, 2007

To Educate is to be Educated.



In his tender age, he was sent to Singapore to study. It is not out of the ordinary if it happens today but when it was back in late 1950’s, it is something. What more when it was in a traditional kampong and the folks were generally not having awareness in the importance of educations due to not being educated themselves. But, that is what happened to my uncle when my grandpa decided to send him there, and until now he has made Singapore a place for him to reside, happily with his kids that now already bring joy to him with presence of the grandchildren. He is in Woodlands.

Singapore is not a strange place to me. I grew up not having an attitude to differentiate between Malaysia and Singapore unlike what generally is now in the minds of younger generations. May be when I was small, I knew my uncle was there and thought it was just another place out of the area we were staying in. The blame goes to the politicians (on both sides) to have us separated in early 60’s as two different nations. It worsens with the political agendas come to play in 80’s and 90’s and to this day, that seemingly put the sharing of history and cultures remotely and thus out of place.

I digress.

Ustaz Luqman retired as a school teacher years ago. His last posting was at a boarding school somewhere in the East Coast of the peninsular. He too has a lot of stories to tell about his younger days. He was sent to Indonesia to study. Ustaz Luqman is later known to me as an uncle too when I marry his niece – my wife now. The irony is he went over to Indonesia together with Abang Lazim, my mom’s cousin that also now retired after serving in the Engineering Ground Support Department with Malaysia Airline System – MAS. Until today, his Indonesian wife is still heavily accented with her Java tongue – I know, that’s beside the point.

Considering the poor living state those years in the rural area where they lacked in facilities and opportunities, in my adulthood, the admiration grew in me for what the old folks had done to educate their children. They looked for ways not to have their children deprived from educations. It was not an outlandish thing during my childhood when I heard people had their grown up children study abroad. The popular destinations back then were Egypt and Saudi Arabia, while India was a place of choice too. They worked hard to support their children’s studies though they were literally lived a hard living with merely make ends meet. The word scholarship is only recent.

Started from my time onward, we can be considered lucky. We have a very good education system in the country. I can say it loud and clear because I am the product of the system. Well not too good, but not that bad either. To the very least I can feel that I am contributing my small part to the nation. No doubt the ideal formula for the whole education system is yet to mature relative to what have been achieved in the developed countries like USA and UK, but in many aspects we are not far behind if not better in certain areas. The biggest achievement is perhaps our end product is not a “kiasu”.

And, look at another angle. How many countries in the world give free educations until the age of 17? (Until the age of 19 in some cases) How many countries in the world spend big chunks of their budgets in scholarships for their students for higher learning?

We are one.



__________________________________________________________________________

10 comments:

simah said...

when i compare our education system to this country i live in...

unless u go to private schools which is far too expensive for normal people, ur kids r in danger of not developing well (ni pendapat i)...the concept of buku bantuan sekolah in the public schools r only very recently introduced n not fully applied.pelajaran agama disekolah ditindas...dan bermacam macam lagi..

until u see it any difference.. ramai di malaysia tak menyedari betapa bertuahnya mereka belajar di dalam sistem pendidikan Malaysia... true, there r a lot of things that we can criticize (heck.. my relatives n friends r mostly educators)...but we should be thankful for what we have...

percayalah..saya kat sini dapat merasa perbandingan dia... sekolah swasta memang bagus sistem dia..tapi berapa kerat saja yg mampu?

UglyButAdorable said...

i beg to differ bro Gab..not to all though.. I was not in a private school..my school days were in convent. No free text books, we had to do charity for years just to get the new canteen block which i did not get to use. It's not entirely free during my time..monthly school fees to pay etc...

but comparing to other 3rd world country, I'm glad i;m here in malaysia..at least I have a good education to rely on and boy that school did taught me to be street smart..ye laaahh..kan nak mintak derma...kena lah bulldoze jer..

Kak Elle said...

The malays in sg get free education except for fee which is during my time only $3/- per month when other races pay $6/-

Religious classes are a must to now unlike my time we go to pak guru house for it and no exam!

Time has changed and the children now get better education ...your cousins can't agree more I'm sure.


Woodlands 20 minutes by the train from where I am...

dlt said...

I am one of MARA sponsored student myself. So frustrated with all those ungrateful students who didn't even try to pay their loan padahal hidup dah senang. Nanti kita punya next generation sure dah susah nak apply loan. Tapi ni lah antara attitude orang kita yang susah nak ubah.

ayang_mas said...

salam....sajer singgah baca blog u...

Theta said...

Due to the onset of Asian economic crisis in 1997, the number of government-related tertiary scholarships given out to students has dwindled dramatically.

That said, we are lucky that the government (or its GLCs) STILL award scholarships to those who greatly deserve them. In other words, all-rounded students.

Unfortunately, the limited supply of such financial aids translates to a competitive, almost 'kiasu'-like mentality amongst students to secure their chances in getting the scholastic support. That explains the outrageous number of subjects taken for SPM!

By the way, high school students in Asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, etc, possess more advanced mathematical skills than their US counterparts. Go figure.....

~ GAB ~ said...

SIMAH --> After attending the International conference about ICT in Education, Smart School matters, the other day, I have clearer picture on how lucky we are in Malaysia. Comparatively, we are doing a lot better than other Asian countries. Even the speakers from UK, Canada and USA complimented on what we have achieved so far. No doubt, we are learning from their mistakes and we can cut certain corners.




UBA --> I am not too sure how the policy like for Convent school. Is it considered as private or rather under the higher bracket of income parents? Agree, even I myself now have to buy textbooks for my children since the household income exceeds the minimum requirement, and I do not mind because in the context of free, there is still... no other charges such as tuition fees whatsoever. There are a lot more unfortunate students in needs, better give way to them.

Glad you feel that you are a good product of the system as well.




KAK ELLE --> I have to agree with you Singapore has got a good education system. Administratively speaking, it's easier control for Singapore due to its size and student population, apart from resources. In Malaysia, the challenges are more than what it takes over there. We are spread in a wider area and the socio-economic factor is a heavy element.

Love to meet you when I am in S'pore in future.




DLT --> Wahhh... you have a good realization over the matter. Even this morning I heard on the radio, the offer by PTPTN for the graduate students to deal over about the repayment if they really cannot afford it just yet. Likewise for MARA, I think it will jeopardize the students in future to have the facilities if many of them now default payment. And hey, during my time it was not loan you know. It was full scholarship.





AYANG MAS --> Thanks for coming. I took a peep at your blog also. Keep blogging my dear.





THETA --> Well rounded students deserve it more and I think the goverment will and already do put efforts not to have those smart ones deprived from opportunities.

You said it right. High school students in Asian countries possess more advanced mathematical skills than their US counterparts. When I attended the International Conference the other day, it was confirmed by a speaker from New Zealand telling on the subject matter. Surprising to some, Vietnam came as no 1 in mathematical skills. I was not surprise. I had colleagues those days from Vietnam. They were damn good.

Thamos Liam said...

This website is ideal for all the answers to the Swimming Pool Filtration method or plant. As a dealer, I must say that this is the only place where you will get all your queries resolved regarding Swimming pool filtration plant.

Anonymous said...

smart operation
smart operation
smart operation
smart operation
smart operation
smart operation
smart operation
smart operation
smart operation
smart operation

digital said...

Results
Results
Results
Results
Results
Results
Results
Results
Results
Results

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter