Friday, July 14, 2006

A Place To Eat

I used to write in January 2006 about one of my favourite hangout places, the Dome, KLCC. I did enjoy my time there. I liked the ambience of the place as much as I loved the food & drinks. Rather unfortunate… I came across friends experienced otherwise. Let’s look at what Faei has to say about it…

QUOTE:
My husband and I were having brunch yesterday at Dome KLCC. Now, we are not the type of people who like to aimlessly lounge at KL eateries. Actually we were there to do a little shopping for Arislan’s clothes, and also to surf the internet at the Maxis Utopia hotspot to do a little e-banking and to read the Champions League post match commentary on soccernet.

The waitress who took our order was all dull and sullen. No smiles were offered, no friendly greetings. She has an expression that is probably more sour than the zestiest lemon. As we were munching on our meals, a group of male foreigners sat at the table near us. Instantly, the same sour waitress swooped on them, complete with the brightest smile and the most cheerful greeting. All of the sudden, she came coquettishly chatty, suggesting this dish and that.

My husband and I were looking at each other in disgust. “C’mon,” I said, loudly. “Let’s get out of here before I puke to death.”
What’s with all this ‘worshipping’ of gwailos anyway? Are all Malaysian men not capable of any manners or charm?

Faei

The above is to show the example of not-so-right-attitude by Malaysians. I, for one, am pissed off with this kind of attitude as well. Wherever I eat or dine, be it a quickie as it is for my lunch, casual for high tea with colleagues or elaborate dinner with the family, I am very particular on the treatment by the waiters / waitresses. Regardless of what standard of the diner, be it at the stall, cafeteria, cafĂ©, bistro, “half-cooked” western food places, and restaurant or at a flush hotel, I expect the best as a customer.

I cannot really comprehend discriminating the patrons by these “kids” working as waiters/waitresses. (The actual blame is on the management, not these kids) Is it there to do with prejudice over who looks like having lot of money? Or is it to do with being certain race will belong to certain class? That's not even funny. All are craps, I must say... What is so special about the western people? Is it due to them are better looking than the Asians with blonde hair and blue eyes and all? Yeah, generally they are but we are here as customers.

I am quite flair in English language with Mid-Western accent and I used to experiment over with my vocalization skills when dining at a flush eatery. Guess what? They chickened-out and treat me as if I am heck of a guy that belongs to certain class of the society. But when I purposely pronounce those funny French words on the menu like the Malay lingo does and none of the English laced in the words, hey, they’d size you up. Back in my mind, I said, “O fudge... your momma... you don’t know a shit what classy is all about”. It does not necessarily the ones don’t speak English is not classy. “I can all not know a word of English and yet I am still standing tall and you supposed to respect my BM when I am using it, what more I am upholding the language as an official language of the country”.

"I don’t respect you when you are respecting me because of what’s what but all that I need is for you to treat me as a customer! "

Psychologically, this has got to do with the inferiority complex among Malay ethnics.

(I’ll find time to write on the psychological factor that contributes to this inferiority complex among Malays / Malaysians)

GAB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter