Friday, January 20, 2006

The Ship



I was in my bedroom, an apartment located at 42nd Street. The apartment was on the southern part of the university campus, a few blocks away from main street, Hampton Boulevard. It was winter time. Snow had been falling since early morning. I had just shifted away from study table working on my assignments. Grabbed a warm coffee on the cozy and headed towards window on the west wing. I was taking time out for a few minutes because I was stucked on certain solutions in my assignment. The window was facing Chesapeake Bay where the biggest Naval Base in the US was located. From the distance, amidst the beautiful view of the snowfall, I could recognize very well the carrier named Nimitz, such a mighty nuclear-powered ship carrying thousands of personnel with many types of aircrafts on it. How do I know that was Nimitz? At that time I remembered the playcards I was playing with when I was little. It was a deck of cards with pictures of ships on it. I kept the cards until they were all worn out. I was smiling to myself when the real ship was just a matter of a mile away from me of which I used to admire from the playcards I had during my childhood days.

That was a piece of sweet thing happened years back when I was in Norfolk, Virginia. I am very particular over small things that would contribute to memories. That kind of feeling is so personal to me. What's the big deal? No big deal, but to me... personal that is, it touched my heart. It's not seeing the ship that matters much but the memory of carrying around the playcards and fantasizing over the ship as my toy that could be sailed in the murky water in the ditch behind the house, matters.

GAB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waahhhh...at last dapat gak tgk pic kapal tuh erk.... :-D

Kak Teh's BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

IDHAM'S BLOG DIRECTORY

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter